Tamil Nadu: 2-year-old, stuck in borewell for days, dies

Adjust Comment Print

Oxygen was continuously pumped into the pit. Since it was now confirmed that the boy was no more, it was made a decision to opt for the not-so-delicate method of bringing his body out through the borewell itself by using the pincer instrument, without having to continue with the "careful" process by the larger parallel tunnel that was being drilled. Over the weekend, Sujith's mother, Kalairani, started stitching a white cloth pouch for rescuers to put her son in.

Earlier, she had also been seen calling into the well for her boy, urging him not to cry.

Later, a camera lowered into the hole showed that the toddler had fallen unconscious: He was jammed in the dark cavity, his arms caught above his head.

Tamil Nadu Ministers including like Deputy Chief Minister O Panneerselvam were personally monitoring the rescue operations and had met the family of the infant on Monday.

He also batted for more awareness on the part of people to ensure safety and avoid mishaps.

PNG make history, qualify for ICC T20 World Cup Australia 2020
The extinct Queensland rapid bowler acknowledged planning for the World Cup in Australia subsequent year could possibly well wait. PNG will make their first-ever appearance at a World Cup alongside Ireland as the two sides confirmed their spots on Sunday.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi had earlier tweeted his concerns about the fate of the young boy after meeting with the rescuers. "As of now, the digging process has been stopped", J Radhakrishnan, Principal Secretary in the Transport Department and the Relief Commissioner told media. The petitioner cited similar deaths in several states in recent years, and said the central and state governments had failed to comply with the top court's guidelines given in 2010 to prevent deaths in borewells and tubewells.

Initial reports said the lad plunged 30ft down the well on Friday, before slipping a further 70ft on Sunday.

The wells are very common across rural India as they are a key source of water for farmers and domestic users. Many sit dry and abandoned.

A rescue operation for Sujith Wilson was called off after his decomposed body was found inside the borewell.

Rescue teams worked around the clock for over 80 hours to try and save the toddler, but at around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday - after drilling a hole near the well - officials detected a smell, indicating that the boy was deceased, the Times of India reported.

Comments