UK: Banned building materials suspected in London fire

Adjust Comment Print

"The poorest people of this area don't feel listened to this week or in previous years", said Thompson.

"That's why last week's devastating tragedy at Grenfell Tower has left the nation so stunned, scared and angry", Khan wrote.

"There are wider regulatory offences but I think manslaughter is the most serious and that's the one that needs to be looked at first".

A criminal investigation has been launched after which Theresa May has said there will be a public inquiry - but victims and campaigning are calling for an inquest which is independent of the government and has more powers to investigate.

Asked why the material was used, he added: "There are two separate questions".

Councilor Nicholas Paget-Brown told the BBC this week that sprinklers were not fitted inside the building during the refurbishment "because that would have delayed and made the refurbishment of the block more disruptive". There has also been a public outcry at the government's initial failure to provide up-to-the minute information.

The remains of Grenfell Tower stand in London.

"I was with the Grenfell survivors last night".

Meanwhile, London mayor Sadiq Khan has said that high-rise tower blocks dating from the 1960s and 1970s could be torn down in the wake of the deadly fire.

Experts believe the building's cladding, which contained insulation, helped the flames spread quickly up the outside of the housing complex. The 24-storey tower that once housed up to 600 people in 120 apartments is now a charred ruin.

In Georgia, a cacophony of arguments could tilt House race
The race is the most expensive House race in history, with both candidates spending around $50 million. Department of Health and Human Services, in metro Atlanta's 6th congressional district.

A spokesman for the Department for Communities and Local Government told CNN that the use of a composite aluminum panel with a polyethylene core would breach current United Kingdom building regulations guidance, which says this material should not be used as cladding on buildings over 18 meters (59 feet) in height.

Reports suggest that a renovation project on Grenfell Tower previous year intentionally did not include safety devices such as sprinklers and doors created to keep the fire from spreading.

Greg Hands told Sky News that "my understanding is that the cladding that was reported was not in accordance with United Kingdom building regulations".

He told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show: "My understanding is the cladding in question, this flammable cladding which is banned in Europe and the U.S., is also banned here".

The MP called on the government to find and preserve all emails, meeting documents, correspondence with contractors, safety assessments, specifications and reports in order to withhold justice for the victims.

"When the truth comes out about this tragedy, we may find that there is blood on the hands of a number of organizations".

Police Commander Stuart Cundy says police will seek criminal prosecutions if the evidence warrants.

Homeless Grenfell Tower victims will receive at least £5500 ($9670) in a Government payout, the Sun reports.

Mrs May, who met victims at 10 Downing Street on Saturday, has ordered more boots on the ground at the scene after labelling the support given to families in the aftermath of the tragedy "not good enough".

Anyone who has concerns about someone who they know may have been living, visiting or staying in Grenfell Towers, but has not yet been contacted by the police or not yet reported their concerns about a possible missing person should call the police Casualty Bureau on 0800 0961 233. Help will also be given to people who do not have bank accounts.

Comments