Nadal reaches Monte Carlo Masters final after Controversial umpire call

Adjust Comment Print

MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - APRIL 22: David Goffin of Belgium argues with the chair umpire after a bad line call against Rafael Nadal of Spain in their semi final round match on day seven of the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters at Monte-Carlo Sporting Club on April 22, 2017 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco.

The 14-time Grand Slam victor created history on Sunday when he became the first man in Open era to win 10 tournament titles as he decimated compatriot Albert Ramos-Vinolas 6-1, 6-3 in the title match of 2017 Monte Carlo Masters, that went on for just 76 minutes. He surpassed Argentinian, Guillermo Vilas, with his 50th title today. The Spaniard is going for a tenth French Open crown this year and at Monte Carlo, won his first ATP title since winning in Barcelona, also on clay, last year.

"I never take Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid like a preparation for any other tournament". I'm very happy because this is a very important event for me and it's my first tournament on clay so it's great to be able to play in the final again. That is the real thing. "Then Roland Garros arrives later", the Spaniard responded to talk about him being favourite to add a 10 French Open title.

"It has been an awesome week on one of the most important events on the tour". I feel lucky to keep playing tennis, being healthy all those years, to compete in one of the most handsome events of the year, without a doubt. Federer also beat Nadal in the fourth round at Indian Wells, but the 18-time Slam champion skipped Monte Carlo this year.

"It's just unfortunate I missed my chances in the beginning of the third set to go a double break up", said Djokovic who had led 4-2 in the decider.

UC Berkeley wants to postpone Coulter speech
In its letter , the university said the students and officials could work together to reschedule the event for a later date. Coulter's own First Amendment rights. "We are going to be making a concerted effort to explain the reasons behind this".

Rafael Nadal said he could not have imagined he would enjoy such sustained success in the Monte-Carlo Masters, after winning the tournament for a remarkable 10th time.

"It's really unbelievable", he said.

After eliminating top seed Murray, fifth-seeded Marin Cilic earlier in the week, Ramos-Vinolas was still on a dramatic run as he overcame host favorite Lucas Pouille 6-3, 5-7, 6-1 in two hours and 16 minutes.

Nadal watched smiling as each of his Monte Carlo trophy presentations over the years was played on the big screen. "When he's a little bit better in everything, the difference after, it's what we saw in the match", said the 29-year-old.

"I improved my tennis a little-my backhand a little bit", Ramos-Vinolas answered when asked about his hot streak. "I think I improved this week and I know now that I can have high ambitions".

Comments