Canada welcomes signing of interim constitutional agreement in Sudan

Adjust Comment Print

Forces for Freedom and Change, which sparked the nine months of protests, nominated Abdalla Hamdok, an economist who has served as deputy executive secretary for the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa from 2011 until stepping down in October, as the government's prime minister.

It a tweet seen by TUKO.co.ke, on Saturday, August 17, Kalonzo said the military and the protesters' leaders who were rowing over Bashir's succession signed a deal to guide smooth transition.

The military's two remaining members will be named at a later time, Shams El Din Kabbashi said.

In a landmark move, Sudan's main opposition coalition and the ruling military council have formally signed a final power-sharing deal here on Saturday.

Other leaders who attended the ceremony included; Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and Egypt's premier Mustafa Madbuli. The new administration will govern Sudan for just over three years, until elections can be held.

"A spirit of revenge against the former regime is unsafe", he said.

Still, the Sudanese celebrated in Khartoum and elsewhere across the country Saturday.

The constitutional declaration reached on August 4 brought an end to almost eight months of upheaval that saw masses mobilise against former president Omar al-Bashir, who was removed in April after 30 years in power.

Eric Reid Continues Criticism: "When Has Jay-Z Ever Taken A Knee?"
Players Coalition 2 .0. "Everyone saying, 'how are you going forward if Kaep doesn't have a job?' This wasn't about having a job". While it's now unclear which team that he will co-own, the sources say "it is going to happen in the near future".

The composition of the civilian-majority transitional ruling council is to be announced on Sunday.

The celebrations looked set to last deep into the night as tens of thousands of people converged on the capital's main park, spilling out of honking cars and tuk tuks.

Peace talks between the military junta and civilian opponents stalled on June 3, with protest leaders holding the military responsible for attacks on a peaceful demonstration that left at least 30 people dead at another Khartoum sit-in, according to the Associated Press.

Members of the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces he commands shielded him back to his auto as the crowd saw him off, chanting "blood for blood".

"Civilian rule, civilian rule", they chanted, promising to avenge the estimated 250 allegedly killed by security forces during the protests.

The next day, Qatari broadcaster Al-Jazeera says it has been allowed to reopen its Khartoum office, which had been shut down in May.

"We came here to express our victory, to carry the memories and ambitions of the Sudanese people", Awadallah Ahmed told VOA as he stepped off the train.

The opposition alliance was hopeful, but concerned about compromises it has to make in the deal.

Comments