It also comes just days after a US F/A-18 shot down a regime warplane after it dropped bombs near US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces fighting ISIS in the area around Tabqah, Syria, in the country's north.
The F-15 plane downed the drone around 00:30 on Tuesday (21:30 GMT Monday) north-east of Tanf, according to a U.S. military statement.
U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has said the pro-Syrian forces are backed by Iran, and have been knowingly operating "inside an established and agreed-upon deconfliction zone".
The drone was identified as a Shaheed-129 that displayed "hostile intent and advanced" on coalition forces at the At Tanf combat outpost used to train partner Syrian forces in the fight against the Islamic State (ISIS).
The statement said the location was close to where another "pro-regime" drone - which intelligence sources separately identified as Iranian - was shot down on June 8 after dropping bombs near coalition forces.
Russian Federation responded by warning it would track aircraft from the US -led coalition as potential targets over Syria and suspended a hotline meant to avoid mid-air collisions.
This month, an American warplane almost shot down a Syrian SU-22 that appeared to be maneuvering to drop bombs on American-backed Syrian fighters, but the Syrian aircraft dumped its munitions in the desert and zoomed away.
First female F1 team boss to leave Sauber
The BBC, also citing sources close to the team, said Kaltenborn had been in disagreement with owners Longbow Finance. Kaltenborn was made principal in 2012 - the first woman in F1 in such a role, to replace team founder Peter Sauber .
The incident - the first of its kind since the USA started fighting ISIS in Syria in 2014 - prompted Russian Federation to issue a threat to coalition aircraft flying west of the River Euphrates that they "will be considered air targets". The Pentagon said the incident took place near a combat post in A-Tanf where USA and coalition "advisers" are stationed in a support capacity to provide services to forces battling the Islamic State terrorist organization. "We expect that they will be provided", Lavrov was quoted as saying by Russia's official TASS news agency.
Both the United States and Russian Federation contend their forces are in Syria to fight ISIS.
That was a rarity in modern warfare, representing the first time the U.S. Air Force had downed a manned jet since 1999.
In Damascus, it was stated that the fighter participated in the operation against the "Islamic State" group, and accused the coalition of coordinating strikes with militants. "When the armed UAV continued to advance on the Coalition position without diverting its course it was shot down", the statement said. In response, Russian Federation announced it would no longer use the communication line and warned that it would shoot coalition aircraft in its area of operation.
But while National Defence says it is monitoring the situation, it otherwise wouldn't comment Monday on where the Canadian planes have been flying in Syria and whether they are in any increased risk of danger.
"As a precautionary measure, Australian Defence Force strike operations into Syria have temporarily ceased", the Australian Department of Defence said.


Comments