3300 dead since central Congo conflict in August

Adjust Comment Print

"At least two pregnant women were sliced open and their fetuses mutilated", he added.

More than 3,000 people have been killed in eight months of spiraling violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo's troubled central region of Kasai, a report by the Roman Catholic church says.

The government soon will publish its own report on the crisis, Congolese government spokesman Lambert Mende told The Associated Press.

"Beyond verifying whether these figures are true or not, it demonstrates that this is a real security situation that must absolutely lead to an appropriate government reaction to put an end to this", he said.

Investigators deployed by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, reported refugees from multiple villages in the Kamonya territory indicated the Bana Mura had in the past two months shot dead, hacked, burned to death and mutilated hundreds of villagers.

According to figures compiled by the church and listed in a report by the papal envoy, a copy of which was seen by AFP on Tuesday, some 3,383 people have died in violence between security forces and a tribal militia.

Tom Brady dreams of playing football in China
The NFL has played exhibition or regular-season games in nine different countries, but China isn't one of them. Brady is promoting the launch of Under Armour's athlete recovery sleepwear.

Some legal proceedings had already begun, Mwamba said, including the trial of people suspected of killing United Nations sanctions monitors Michael Sharp and Zaida Catalan, an American and a Swede who disappeared in March and whose bodies were found two weeks later in a shallow grave.

The UN also accuses the opposition Kamuina Nsapa militia of killing civilians thought to be loyal to the government, and of recruiting children as young as seven, many of whom are committing acts of violence themselves, apparently under the influence of drugs. Their bodies were later found in a shallow grave along with the body of their Congolese colleague.

Congolese authorities and traditional chiefs have reportedly accompanied the Bana Mura during attacks.

"I am appalled by the creation and arming of a militia, the Bana Mura, allegedly to support the authorities in fighting the Kamwina Nsapu (rebels), but which has carried out horrific attacks against civilians from the Luba and Lulua ethnic groups", he said.

The U.N. Human Rights Council in Geneva is due to decide this week whether to authorize an investigation into the Kasai violence.

Associated Press writer Jamey Keaten in Geneva contributed.

Comments