One of the seven USA sailors killed on the USS Fitzgerald after a collision with a container ship off the coast of Japan has been identified as Dakota Kyle Rigsby, a Fluvanna County volunteer firefighter.
Search crews found the missing sailors after they were able to gain access to parts of the ship that were damaged in the collision.
Those dead are gunner's mate seaman Dakota Kyle Rigsby, yeoman 3rd class Shingo Alexander Douglass, sonar technician 3rd class Ngoc T Truong Huynh, gunner's mate 2nd Ccass Noe Hernandez, fire controlman 2nd class Carlosvictor Ganzon Sibayan, personnel specialist 1st class Xavier Alec Martin and fire controlman 1st class Gary Leo Rehm Jr.
THE US navy confirmed yesterday that seven of its sailors were dead after a cargo ship hit one of its destroyers off Japan on Saturday.
Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, the commander of the Navy's 7th Fleet, also described a harrowing scene as other sailors fought to keep the ship from sinking.
The collision occurred in a busy shipping lane south of Tokyo a little before 2:30 a.m. Saturday, a time when most of the Fitzgerald's crew would have been asleep.
"The water flow was tremendous, and so there wasn't a lot of time in those spaces that were open to the sea".
The victims might have been killed by the impact of the collision or drowned in the flooding, said Navy spokesman Lt. Paul Newell, who led the media on a visit to get a firsthand look at the mangled destroyer.
Rocket League coming to Nintendo Switch this holiday season
The developers have not given us any confirmation about the platforms that the game will be released on. While Microsoft seems to be happy being all in on working with Nintendo, Sony remains reluctant.
They were transferred to a United States naval hospital for identification, it said. The boat returned safely to its home port of Yokosuka, Japan on Saturday night, ending its 17-hour ordeal.
A number of sailors' bodies that were missing from the collision between USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) and a merchant ship have been found.
Cmdr. Bryce Benson, the destroyer's commanding officer, was transferred to U.S. Naval Hospital Yokosuka by a Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) helicopter. The weather was clear with a swell of about 1.8m at the time. Two other crew members who suffered cuts and bruises were also flown out.
Japanese investigators are now questioning the 20 Filipino crew members who were aboard the 728-foot long ship merchant ship. Images show that the ship had taken on massive amounts of water.
Obara said the Coast Guard was interviewing the crew of the Crystal to determine, among other things, whether negligent piloting by either side contributed to the collision.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe sent a sympathy message to President Donald Trump on Sunday.
Abe said in his message to Trump on Sunday, "We are struck by deep sorrow", expressing condolences and sympathy "straight from my heart" to the victims and the injured. A search for the missing sailors had been conducted by ships and aircraft near the area of the collision for much of the day on Saturday.
Abe wrote, "I express my heartfelt solidarity to America at this hard time", praising US servicemen in Japan under the allies' bilateral security pact.




Comments