Syrian army halts combat operations for two days in southern city

Adjust Comment Print

State Minister for Media Affairs and Government Spokesman Muhammad al-Momani said the Kingdom supports all efforts and initiatives designed at brining about a comprehensive ceasefire on all Syrian territory.

Another track of talks brokered by Russian Federation - a key Assad ally - has also been happening in Astana, Kazakhstan, since January.

Since a resumption of peace negotiations a year ago, there have been multiple rounds brokered by the United Nations in Geneva between representatives of Syrian rebels and the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, resulting in scant progress.

Meanwhile, UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura said on Monday that a fresh round of intra-Syrian talks would begin in the Swiss city of Geneva on July 10.

But the army said all combat operations will stop for 48 hours as of 12pm on Saturday (0900 GMT).

Earlier this week, a western diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, said in Beirut that officials from the United States, Russia and Jordan were holding closed-door meetings in Amman to halt the fighting between the militants and government troops in southern Syria.

At Least Three US Soldiers Wounded After Afghan Base Attack
It remains unclear as to whether the slain Afghan, who is reported to have been a commando, was the perpetrator of the attack. Taliban took responsibility of the incident and said that Afghan soldier who killed U.S. soldiers belonged to Taliban group.

In Washington, the US State Department said "we welcome any initiative to reduce tensions and violence in southern Syria". "The opposition should similarly halt attacks to allow the ceasefire to endure - and hopefully be extended - and humanitarian aid to reach those in need".

It is worth recalling that more than 320,000 people have lost their lives in the six-year.

A "de-escalation agreement" brokered by Iran, Russia and Turkey in May has not brought any relief to the city, activists said.

Rebels control around 60 percent of Deraa city, and the province as a whole is one of the last remaining bastions of opposition forces in the country.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) war monitor said the level of violence in Deraa had fallen seven hours after Saturday's ceasefire was due to take effect, but the SOHR and rebels said there was some bombardment for the first couple of hours.

Forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said they would abide by a 48-hour ceasefire in the southern city of Daraa.

Comments