The rescinded memo purported to provide a path for illegal aliens with a USA citizen or lawful permanent resident child to be considered for deferred action.
FILE - In this June 6, 2017, file photo, Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington.
DAPA would have affected as many as four million people by some estimates, those with US-born children who were in the country before 2010.
WASHINGTON (AP) - An Obama-era immigration program meant to protect parents of US citizens and legal residents from deportation has been formally cancelled, fulfilling a key campaign promise from President Donald Trump, the Homeland Security Department announced late Thursday.
The Trump administration announced that it is cancelling an Obama-era policy to allow millions of illegal-immigrant parents of children born in the United States to stay in the country. Republicans decried the effort at "backdoor amnesty" and argued that Obama overstepped his authority by protecting a specific class of immigrants living in the United States illegally.
Billionaire Moshiri to spearhead Everton’s Italian job
Indeed, it is only by virtue of Falcinelli’s prowess in the final third that Crotone still remains in contention to survive. In Romelu Lukaku, Koeman has a player with the capability of firing Everton to far headier heights than seventh place.
According to the statement from DHS, the order was withdrawn after Kelly consulted with the Department of Justice and determined "there is no credible path forward to litigate" the order. The Fifth District Court of Appeals upheld that court's decision, and the Supreme Court declined to hear the case, leaving the decision in place.
An earlier program, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), offers some 750,000 immigrants brought to the country illegally as children the chance to attend school and to work.
It comes amid a tough crackdown on illegal immigration ordered by President Donald Trump.
Trump has previously said his administration was devising a policy on how to deal with individuals covered by DACA, but no formal changes have been announced.
"DACA is a very, very hard subject for me", Trump said in February at a news conference. "I do have a big heart".





Comments