US working with allies to put pressure on North Korea, Pence says

Adjust Comment Print

The North has said such launches are an act of deterrence against a potential invasion by the United States or South Korea.

Pence reiterated the commitment to defend USA allies in the region from North Korea - which he called "the most risky and urgent threat to the peace and security of the Asia Pacific" during remarks to US and Japanese troops aboard the USS Ronald Reagan at the Yokosuka Naval Base in Japan.

The propaganda video, released by the state, includes frames of the American flag overlapped with an image of a cemetery.

According to reports, a full orchestra played alongside the video, which depicted missiles soaring over the Pacific and engulfing a city on the US west coast.

The footage is unnerving considering North Korea's vice-foreign minister told BBC News that Pyongyang would continue to test missiles and would launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike if the country thought the USA was planning an attack.

"When the performance was over, all the performers and participants in the military parade broke into enthusiastic cheers of "hurrah!" state run KCNA news agency said".

State television footage showed leader Kim Jong-un smiling joyfully and waving to North Koreans as the KCNA narrated the event.

Jakarta governor election results
Anies Baswedan had secured with around 58 per cent versus 42 per cent of the vote for Ahok, according to the quick counts. Around 66,000 police and military personnel will be deployed on voting day, police spokesman Boy Rafli Amar said.

Speaking aboard the USS Ronald Reagan in Japan Wednesday, Pence reiterated the U.S. and its allies were prepared to respond to potential North Korean attack with "overwhelming" force. US troops are still battling suspected Islamic State fighters near the site where a massive bomb was dropped in eastern Afghanistan last week, an American military official says.

Pence heads for Indonesia later on Wednesday.

In a swing through Asia, Vice President Mike Pence issued some of his sharpest words yet to North Korea, warning the reclusive Communist nation that any use of conventional or nuclear weapons would no longer be tolerated by the United States.

"We appreciate the challenging times in which the people of Japan live with increasing provocations from across the Sea of Japan".

In the past, Mr Trump has taken to Twitter to say North Korea was "behaving very badly" and "playing" with the US. "We are with you 100 percent".

The top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee said Wednesday that the most serious national security crisis President Trump will face will be North Korea during his first term.

Stephen McDonell of BBC News, who is in Beijing, said the Chinese government is growing increasingly frustrated with North Korea.

Comments