North Korea conducts new missile test after show of military strength

Adjust Comment Print

"The president and his military team are aware of North Korea's most recent unsuccessful missile launch".

President Donald Trump this month despatched a warship fleet toward the Korean Peninsula as the USA weighed retaliation for any missile or nuclear test. Mr Trump has threatened to act unilaterally if China - North Korea's main ally and benefactor - fails to do more to curb its neighbour's activities. "But the impact of such possible risks has been limited, given that foreign investment on the stock and bond markets remained stable".

South Korea said that the new missile launch which has been done from North Korea threatens the world and threatened to take steps to punish Pyongyang if it goes to new challenges, such as a nuclear test or launch of a long-range missile.

On Monday and Tuesday, the benchmark KOSPI sank 1.3 percent and the local currency dropped 1 percent against the US dollar, with the credit default swaps (CDS) premium advancing to 57 basis points from 51. Such action, analysts say, could draw the entire region into a nuclear war.

Many see the US show of force in the region as a means to increase pressure on China to take stronger measures to restrain its economically dependent ally in Pyongyang.

US Pacific Command said it tracked a missile launch at 5:21 p.m. ET and said the missile blew up nearly immediately.

McMaster was speaking hours after United States and South Korean defense officials told CNN that an attempted missile launch by North Korea failed.

US Secretary of Defense James Mattis and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visited Seoul in February and March respectively to highlight that the US commitment to the defence of South Korea will remain "ironclad".

Trump hits back at tax protests, asks 'who paid' for rallies
US Presidential candidates, including 2016 Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, released their recent tax returns. Many demonstrators said they hoped Saturday's marches would convince Trump to voluntarily release them.

National security adviser Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster said Sunday "all our options are on the table, undergoing refinement and further development" in reaction to the North Korean nuclear program.

The vice president said at a fellowship dinner at U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan in Seoul that the willingness of military members "to stand firm without fear inspires the nation and inspires the world".

While in South Korea, Pence will meet with South Korean Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn, the country's acting head of state in place of ousted President Park Geun-hye, who was recently arrested over a corruption scandal.

The South's National Security Council said it would respond strongly to any further provocation. Last year, Pyongyang attempted to launch a Musudan missile on April 15, an auspicious date on which millions celebrate Kim II Sung's birthday. Kim Jong Un has overseen three nuclear tests and a string of missile and rocket launches since taking over after the death of his father, dictator Kim Jong Il, in late 2011. That was the site of a ballistic missile test earlier this month in which the projectile fell into the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea. That launch came shortly before U.S. President Donald Trump's first meeting with Chinese leader Xi Jinping.

The extended-range Scud missile in that earlier launch suffered an in-flight failure and fell into the sea off North Korea's east coast, according to USA imagery and assessments.

China, the North's sole major ally, and Russian Federation have both urged restraint, with Beijing's foreign minister Wang Yi warning Friday that "conflict could break out at any moment".

Despite Sunday's failure, the North's previous claim to have used "standardized" warheads has led to worries that it was making headway in its push to develop small and sophisticated warheads to be topped on long-range missiles.

Comments