Congo's Ebola outbreak declared 'Public Health Emergency of International Concern' by WHO

Adjust Comment Print

The World Health Organization has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo an global health emergency.

The AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) has called on the Director-General of the World Health Organization Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to demonstrate resolute leadership on Ebola or resign.

The Committee also issued specific conclusions and advice to affected countries, their neighbours, and for all States, in terms of how the outbreak needs to be dealt with moving forward. The experts said it was "essential to avoid the punitive economic consequences of travel and trade restrictions, on affected communities". This is a sobering step in a hard and complex outbreak, done to raise global awareness of the gravity of the situation.

Congolese soldiers and police will enforce hand-washing and fever checks now that the deadly Ebola outbreak has been declared an worldwide health emergency, authorities said Thursday.

Goma is a major urban town and home to more than one million people. Health experts are concerned that the disease might spread to other countries via travelers passing through the city.

Thursday's report said the woman was suspected of going to the Congolese city of Goma and then into neighbouring Rwanda while suffering from Ebola, which is highly contagious and spreads through bodily fluids.

Ebola cases top 2,000 as the rate of new cases triples.

While the risk of regional spread remains high, the risk outside the region remains low, World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said after Wednesday's announcement. The group said the infection cases in the neighboring country was "not unexpected" and that they did not meet the criteria necessary to make a declaration.

The latest Ebola figures released by the health ministry on Thursday said that some 1,698 people have died since the outbreak was declared last August.

Harbaugh -- Comment about Meyer not 'bombshell'
Harbaugh made the comments ahead of Big Ten media days. "It was things that many of you understand and have written about". Harbaugh, who is 0-4 against the Buckeyes since returning to coach his alma mater.

Dr. Joanne Liu, president of Doctors Without Borders, said she hoped the emergency designation would prompt a radical reset of Ebola response efforts.

With regard to new response to the outbreak, more African voluntary health corps members will be deployed in the DR Congo by the AU, he said, adding the Africa CDC will work with the AU Peace and Security Council and the United Nations security system to improve security in the field for healthcare.

Rwanda's health minister, Diane Gashumba, said her country is taking precautionary measures after the pastor contracted Ebola and was diagnosed in Goma, eastern Congo's main city, near the bustling border with Rwanda. "We desire to work together in cohesion with the DRC to terminate this outbreak and set apart the next health system".

Since January, there have been 198 attacks against health care providers, including 7 deaths, according to an earlier report by the WHO. These have resulted in seven people killed and 58 others injured.

The WHO chief said Wednesday that there has been violence in the region for years.

If passengers show symptoms of the Ebola virus, the SS will phone the passengers every day in order to track their health status.

"Unless we get substantially more financial resources immediately, it will not be possible to end the outbreak".

"The vaccine produced by the firm Merck, now used in this epidemic, is the only one that has demonstrated its effectiveness for reactive vaccination in the case of the current response", Dr Illunga said earlier this week.

Comments