Conte rules out Hazard to Barcelona as Neymar replacement

Adjust Comment Print

Conte declined to specify who or how many players Chelsea are looking to add before the transfer window closes in just under a month, but said the club has been informed of his wishes.

"Only two players, Eden Hazard and Tiemoue Bakayoko, they are working to try to recover very soon but they are not available for Sunday's game", Conte replied when asked about his squad.

Blues boss Conte declared: "We are trying to buy players, not sell! At the end of the season, I think we were very lucky and very good to have not a lot of injuries".

It's a running theme from the Chelsea boss, who has asked for reinforcements time and time again this summer, and has been vocalising issues with the squad number as far back as January, when four key players left the club and were not replaced.

Antonio Conte says Eden Hazard is "very happy" at Chelsea, despite reports Barcelona will target him as a Neymar replacement.

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte dismisses speculation that Eden Hazard could leave for Barcelona in the wake of Neymar's world-record move to Paris Saint-Germain.

Chelsea continue to be linked with big names like Virgil van Dijk, Alex Sandro and Antonio Candreva, but they took their time getting deals for the likes of Morata and Bakayoko over the line.

Injured Stan Wawrinka to miss rest of season
Following the US Open , Wawrinka will leave the top five for the first time since right before winning the 2015 French Open . He said after the defeat the knee had been a problem on and off all season and he needed to figure out what was wrong.

"For now, I have to wait and to show patience". The most important thing is the club knows my opinions and they are trying to do their best for our team, our squad.

The situation nevertheless leaves the defending champions now depending on a core squad staying fit in order to retain the title, perhaps explaining why Conte elaborated on how fortunate they'd been last season with injuries more than ever before.

"For me and for my players, the best way now is to be focused on the pitch, to work, to try to improve and don't think of the other situation".

"At this moment we have a small squad". We need more players.

Hazard is now sidelined while he recovers from ankle surgery and the Belgian, who was injured on global duty at the end of last season, will miss the start of Chelsea's Premier League title defence. "But we want to play a good game with a high intensity against Arsenal because it's the first trophy of the season".

Matic made his United debut in the club's 2-1 friendly win over Sampdoria on Wednesday, playing the first 47 minutes of the match in Dublin.

Comments