George Mitchell: US Should Not Brace for China on NKorea

Adjust Comment Print

US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said he and the top USA diplomat affirmed with high-ranking Chinese officials Wednesday that North Korea's nuclear missile program is a threat to peace and security in the Asia-Pacific region.

Earlier this week, Susan Thornton, acting assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs, told reporters that a top priority in this week's talks will be about ramping up pressure on North Korea so as to change Pyongyang's calculus over its nuclear and missile programs.

Yang also said China is willing to work with the U.S.to maintain high-level exchanges as well as exchanges at other various levels and handle properly disputes on the basis of mutual respect.

The officials' statements come a day after President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter saying that China and Xi Jinping had tried, but failed, in helping rein in North Korea.

The White House on Wednesday pushed China to put pressure on companies doing business in North Korea in an effort to halt the latter's nuclear missile program.

"I'm committed to improving the U.S".

The death of Otto Warmbier this week after being brought home from North Korea in a coma after 17 months of captivity added fresh impetus to the problem of Kim Jong-un. "China's end state on the Korean peninsula in terms of nuclear weapons is the same as ours", Mattis said.

"Countries around the world and in the U.N. Security Council are joining in this effort, and we hope China will do their part as well", he said.

Rally against Islamic law in Atlanta
Talbot Sleater, a 62-year-old construction foreman, said that the Seattle protest was the first of the kind that he had attended. If you feel unsafe "walking around in a hijab, try being a conservative on a college campus", Hart said.

The Chinese side at the dialogue stressed the need for a "dual-track" approach.

Moon also has reservations about the U.S. THAAD missile defense system deployed in the ROK.

"Secretary Mattis and I were clear that the United States position remains unchanged", Tillerson said.

North Korea conducts about 90 percent of its trade through China. ".The two leaders [President Trump and President Xi] seem very simpatico on this".

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says the American people are growing increasingly frustrated over the government in North Korea that "provokes, provokes and provokes".

Mattis spoke at the State Department with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, after they hosted the first iteration of the U.S.

American concern is growing over North Korea's acceleration toward having a nuclear missile that can strike the US mainland. But it was unclear if Pyongyang was preparing for a sixth nuclear test.

Comments