An additional 17 bodies were found near the road, with some speculating that those people were attempting to flee from their trapped cars before they met their tragic fate.
AFP | More than 1,000 firefighters on Monday continued to battle a giant forest fire that swept through central Portugal at the weekend, killing at least 62 people.
Such storms are frequent when falling water evaporates before reaching the ground because of high temperatures. The fire, which was still burning at the time of this article, spread rapidly on four fronts, creating five separate firestorms which raged through the small European country.
More than 350 soldiers on Sunday joined the 700 firefighters who have been struggling to put out the blaze, schools in the area were closed until further notice and outdoor fires were banned.
Twelve people survived one of Portugal's deadliest fires by seeking refuge in a water tank after access to their village was cut off by the blaze.
About 1,600 firefighters, assisted by planes and helicopters, were working to contain the blaze.
The municipality's Mayor, Valdemar Alves, said there were areas "completely surrounded" by the blaze and not enough firefighters to battle the flames.
A huge wall of thick smoke and bright red flames towered over the top of trees near houses in the wooded region.
Resident Isabel Brandao said she had feared for her life when she saw the blaze.
"Some people stayed. Now we're waiting to see". But critics say numerous reforms have not to come into force or fall short of what is required. "At 3:30 a.m., my mother-in-law woke me up quickly and we never went to sleep again".
A picture taken on June 18, 2017 shows the village of Campelo after a wildfire, from Figueiro dos Vinhos.
Billionaire Moshiri to spearhead Everton’s Italian job
Indeed, it is only by virtue of Falcinelli’s prowess in the final third that Crotone still remains in contention to survive. In Romelu Lukaku, Koeman has a player with the capability of firing Everton to far headier heights than seventh place.
The Portuguese government has declared three days of national mourning for what has been described as the greatest human tragedy seen in the country for decades.
Secretary of State for the Interior Jorge Gomes said 18 of those burned to death had been trapped in their cars engulfed by flames on the road between Figueiro dos Vinhos and Castanheira de Pera.
Xavier Viegas, a wildfire expert at Portugal's Coimbra University, said Portugal needs a long-term strategy, but changes in government often mean changes in forest and farm policies.
Fifty seven people were killed and dozens more injured after hot and windy conditions fanned a massive wildfire in central Portugal. Spain and France are sending aircraft to assist in efforts to douse the flames, authorities say. "The EU is fully ready to help". Firefighters were still fighting the flames Sunday.
It released a statement announcing a minute of silence to be held before Portugal's first match of the Confederations Cup against Mexico on Sunday - and said it will make a donation to help the victims and their families.
"I am shocked and horrified by the many lives claimed by today's devastating fires", said UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, who comes from Portugal.
A burnt truck next to a gate in the village of Pobrais, near Pedrogao Grande, central Portugal, Monday, June 19 2017.
At least three villages near Pedrogao Grande were evacuated.
"Winds should not be much of an issue [as Saturday], but that does not mean localized wind issues could occur, especially around the fire", Roys said. She pointed out that a government forest fire prevention report 10 years ago was deemed to be too ambitious and many of its recommendations ignored.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi also expressed his condolences on Twitter. Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy promised to provide any support necessary.





Comments