London Bridge attackers 'may have planned siege'

Adjust Comment Print

The weapons contributed to the death of eight people, while a further 48 were injured.

Concrete and steel barriers have been placed on several bridges in central London to separate vehicles from pedestrians in the wake of Saturday's horrific terrorist incident on London Bridge and at Borough Market.

The knive pictured was the one used by Butt.

The attackers had wound duct tape around the handles and in Butt's case, a leather strap had been attached to the handle and was hung around his wrist.

Police Commander Dean Haydon speculated that the bloodthirsty zealots might have worn bomb props "as protection from being shot themselves".

Meanwhile, it has emerged that Government guidance issued days after the attack warns hospitals and doctors surgeries that they too could be targeted by terrorists.

Other items were recovered from the scene of the attack.

Then, eight weeks later, three Islamists staged a carbon-copy attack on London Bridge.

Stabbing at US airport is an act of terror
Young retired from the Genesee County sheriff's office in 1997 and said his "good friend" Neville did the same two years later. Ken Brown tells The Flint Journal he was dropping off his daughter at the airport and saw the officer bleeding from his neck.

"The belts were still attached to the suspects when they were shot dead", the Metropolitan Police said in a press release. According to police, they look very authentic.

Police also discovered that a bedsit above a branch of Paddy Power in Barking, East London, was used as a "safe house", after being rented by Redouane in April.

Police raided Redouane's small residence on Tuesday and said he had been renting it since April. From the flat, police recovered an English-language copy of the Koran opened at a page describing martyrdom.

The images of the three belts have been released to the public this morning. They did not, however, provide payment details and the rental did not go ahead.

Even those staying in for the night were able to get involved, as Deliveroo promised to donate £1 from every London order to the fund.

"We had some updates on the radio about at least three men attacking people with knives, but it wasn't really a clear situation and we were not really sure what to expect", he said.

The police said they had questioned 262 witnesses from 19 countries - of which 78 are classed as "significant" - but they believe there are more people with information and have urged them to come forward.

Detectives from the Metropolitan Police's Counter Terrorism Command were searching the address and another in Barking where a 28-year-old man was arrested on Saturday.

Comments