London mosque terror attack suspect identified

Adjust Comment Print

At least nine people were injured. Osborne is a father of four from Cardiff, Wales and was not known by authorities, who continue investigating the incident as a terror attack.

Locals eventually pinned down Osborne, and the imam of the Muslim Welfare House stepped in to stop him from receiving a mob beating.

A 30-year-old male neighbour of Osborne said Osborne previously moved out of the address but had been living back with his partner and children there for a "couple of months".

Eight people were taken to hospital while two others were treated at the scene for minor injuries.

I'm going to kill all Muslims!

One man later died, although it is unclear at this stage if that was a result of the attack as he had collapsed beforehand. He was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and later further arrested over alleged terror offences.

The anti-fascist campaign group HOPE not hate has said it fears the United Kingdom is entering a cycle of "tit-for-tat violence. where the extremes feed off one another, and terror attack propels terror attack". We pushed people away from him until he was safely taken by police into custody.

Imam of London Mosque Ramming 'Saves' Attacker from Angry Victims
He was later criticized after he launched a Twitter attack on London Mayor Sadiq Khan in the wake of that attack. Asked if he had ever expressed extremist views or behaviour, she said: "No, none whatsoever".

The attack on a group of worshippers in north London is yet another disturbing act of violent, intolerant extremism, this time targeting Muslims near a mosque.

An imam told British media he had protected the suspect from the crowd until police arrived to arrest him. It is not clear if there is a link between his death and the attack.

Witnesses have described hearing the van driver, who was detained by members of the public at the scene, saying he had wanted to kill Muslims.

"This was an attack on London and all Londoners, and we should all stand together against extremists, whatever their cause", said Neil Basu, senior counter-terrorism officer for the Metropolitan Police.

Given the growing number of such incidents, Scotland Yard on Tuesday said 1,800 more officers will be equipped with tasers, which deliver an electric shock to the target.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said: "All of these are attacks on our shared values of freedom, of tolerance and of respect... and terrorism is terrorism, whether someone's inspired by an Islamist narrative or other forms of "inspiration". A man intent on killing Muslims plowed a rented van into the group of Londoners - killing one and injuring 10 more - before jumping out and taunting them with slurs, according to witnesses.

Comments