Afghan soldier's insider attack wounds 7 American soldiers

Adjust Comment Print

The Taliban claimed responsibility for last week's attack.

The report says since 2007, insider attacks have killed 157 North Atlantic Treaty Organisation personnel and 557 members of the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces.

The attack ended midday after almost six hours of clashes, said Najib Danesh, the interior ministry's chief spokesman. It was the second such insider attack by an Afghan soldier in the past week.

The news comes as President Donald Trump recently gave Secretary of Defense James Mattis the authority to establish troop levels and as concerns have come from "the top USA commander in Afghanistan that he doesn't have enough forces to help Afghanistan's army against a resurgent Taliban insurgency", according to the Post. But the emergence of an affiliate of the Islamic State group has created a sense of urgency to turn the war around.

Saturday's incident comes just days after President Donald Trump delegated authority to Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to set USA troop levels in Afghanistan, opening the door for a possible of influx of forces that could number in the thousands. The target was the IS affiliate.

The U.S. military would confirm only that U.S. soldiers were wounded in an insider attack that occurred there at about 2 p.m., and that an Afghan soldier had been killed and another wounded. There was no earlier indication of his intent. Two policemen were also killed.

Portugal held by Mexico at Confed Cup
Having threatened with a header earlier, Hernandez stole in to head home an equaliser three minutes from the interval. Petersburg on Saturday. "We played a team that has very good, technical players", said Portugal coach Fernando Santos.

Afghan security forces inspect the aftermath of a suicide bomb blast in Paktia Province, Afghanistan June 18, 2017.

The Taliban have said the shooting was carried out by a man loyal to them, according to Reuters. Since the start of their spring offensive three insider attacks have occurred, compared to the two carried out a year ago.

The NATO-led mission said it has opened an investigation.

More than 135 Afghan soldiers, mostly young recruits, had been killed and dozens injured in the spectacular operation, claimed by the Taliban, who had forced the Minister of Defense to resign. The nationality of the injured soldiers was not immediately known.

The Resolute Support mission announced on its Twitter feed that "U.S. soldiers have been wounded" but said there were no USA fatalities.

Comments