Saudi-Turkish ties strained over differing views on Qatar

Adjust Comment Print

The incident came at a time of diplomatic crisis between Qatar and neighbouring Gulf countries.

"We no longer have any use for these entities", he said.

Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash called on the Western countries to introduce a mechanism to monitor Qatar's alleged support of terrorism.

"We do not trust them (Qatar)".

"Saudi Arabia and some of the region's Arab countries have become a puppet of the United States of America, and pre-planned tensions in the region will only have the U.S. exploit resources of Arab-Islamic countries" and intensify an arms race among Arab states, Major General Seyed Yahya Rahim Safavi said on Sunday.

The Qatari government has repeatedly rejected the allegations of supporting individuals and groups blacklisted as "terrorists" as "baseless".

In an interview aired Thursday with Portuguese broadcaster RTP, Erdogan said work on the Turkish base in Qatar began in 2014 with the aim of supporting regional security.

May meets DUP leader for urgent talks
But the Government will press ahead with the first round of Brexit talks two days before the official opening of Parliament. An agreement with the DUP would bring in an additional 10 seats, pushing the party over the 326-seat threshold.

Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan will represent the United States at the regional meeting scheduled for Monday to Wednesday in the resort city of Cancun.

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir showed no signs of backing down either, telling a press conference: "We have a list of grievances we shall give to Qataris fairly soon".

Microblogging site Twitter has briefly suspended the Al Jazeera Media Network's Arabic-language Twitter account.

Hilala had tweeted on his social media account that the main account has been suspended and the team is working to address the issue.

The main account went offline at about 10am local time, 07:00GMT, and was reinstated after about three hours.

Earlier that same month, a massive construction crane had collapsed into Mecca's Grand Mosque, killing more than 100 pilgrims, including 11 Iranians, and injuring over 200 others, among them 32 Iranian nationals. "We'll be back." In another tweet, he said that no other "channel in the world. faces the same amount of conspiracy".

The network wrote that the account "is now suspended due to what seems to be an organised campaign and we are doing the necessary work to get the service back". They are demanding far greater concessions from Qatar than they ever did in the past - such as closing Al-Jazeera and expelling Hamas leaders - in return for restoring ties.

Comments