Grim search on after London tower fire

Adjust Comment Print

Initial reports had the death toll sitting at six people; that number has now jumped up to 12.

In a statement, the Syria Solidarity Campaign said Alhajali, a civil engineering student, had been in a flat on the 14th floor when the fire broke out, and had spent two hours on the phone talking to a friend in Syria.

"We have to get to the bottom of this, the truth has got to come out - and it will", he said during a visit to the estate neighbouring Grenfell Tower.

"I won't know that until we've gone through the full recovery from Grenfell Tower and we know exactly what we've got and I anticipate that is going to take a considerable period of time". Some observers asked whether hazards in the Grenfell complex, which had 120 apartments that housed as many as 600 people, were ignored because its residents are mainly poor. There is still no exact count of the missing. Thirty-seven people remained in hospital, with 17 of them in critical care.

"Tragically now we are not expecting to find anyone else alive", Cotton told Sky News.

The fire brigade is working with structural engineers to shore up the building so they can safely conduct a "fingertip search" of the entire structure, Ms Cotton [NB Dany Cotton is a WOMAN] said. Specially trained dogs were being brought in to aid the search.

"Those 70s buildings, many of them should be demolished".

Firefighters trying to race into the building were protected from the falling debris by police officers who placed riot shields over their heads.

On the other side of the church, volunteers sorted a mountain of donated clothing into piles for men, women and children of different sizes while others pack donated food into boxes.

Special counsel probing Jared Kushner's business dealings
Kushner and other Trump business associates are being looked at in the investigation, according to a new report. Russian Federation investigation special counsel Robert Mueller is reportedly investigating Kushner's finances.

More than 200 firefighters worked through the night.

The cause of the fire is not known but there has been speculation that a type of aluminium composite panel, with a combustible plastic core, enabled the fire to quickly engulf the building.

The government department in charge of regulating building work - the Department for Communities and Local Government - did not respond to Reuters' questions, including whether such fire barriers were required by law.

The London police on Friday said they may never be able to identify all those who died in the devastating fire that ravaged a 24-storey apartment block here.

Ms Saye was in her flat on the 20th floor when the fire struck, with her mother Mary Mendy, who is thought to be in her 50s. Her husband was away at the time of the fire but is believed to have returned to London after hearing the news.

Italian couple Marco Gottardi, 27, and Gloria Trevisan, 27, are also missing.

Sheila Smith, 84, is the oldest of those to be declared missing so far.

Ruks Mamudu, 69, said she ran to safety down one flight of stairs to the ground floor from her apartment wearing only her purple pajamas and bathrobe.

Survivors, many of whom lost all their belongings in the blaze, spent the night at emergency shelters, as charities and local support groups were flooded with donations of clothes and bedding from shocked Londoners.

Comments