Is Iran now under attack by ISIL?

Adjust Comment Print

Iranian authorities have arrested eight suspects for allegedly supporting the Islamic State-claimed attacks on Iran's parliament and the shrine of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini that killed 17 people in Tehran, the state-run IRNA news agency reported Saturday.

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iran's Supreme Leader said Friday that the Islamic State-claimed dual attacks that killed 17 people in Tehran this week will add to the hatred that Iranians harbor toward the USA and Saudi Arabia. "We underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote", the White House statement declared.

Iran's intelligence ministry said on Thursday five of attackers who died in the assault had been identified as Iranians who had joined the hardline Sunni Muslim militants of Islamic State on their main battlegrounds in Iraq and Syria.

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the country's supreme leader, used the attacks to defend Tehran's involvement in wars overseas.

On Wednesday, two deadly terror attacks took place in Tehran, and ISIS has since claimed responsibility.

Zarif tweeted: "The Iranian people reject such US claims".

Saudi and Iranian leaders accuse each other of sponsoring militant groups.

Around half an hour later, an attacker opened fire at the Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini, injuring several members of the public, Iran's English-language Press TV said.

Ibrahimovic released by United, will continue rehab at club
The Swede, despite his exit, plans to continue his recovery from his injury at United' Carrington training headquarters . Ibrahimovic joined United on a one-year deal, with the option of a second season.

However, Iran's Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) didn't waste any time blaming Saudi Arabia for the attacks. His message is believed to be directed at Saudi Arabia.

At least 40 were wounded and one of the attackers reportedly blew himself up as police surrounded the building he was in.

Iran has indirectly suggested that Saudi Arabia, its major regional rival and a US ally, played a role in the attack.

Medical sources said Thursday that the death toll in the two attacks rose to 17, adding 50 people had been injured.

"It (the attacks) will not damage our nation's determination to fight terrorism. but will only increase hatred for the governments of the United States and their stooges in the region like the Saudis", Mr Khamenei said.

Trump was also criticised on social media by Iranians, who recalled their government's offers of support and the candlelight vigils held in Iran after the attacks of September 11, 2001 in the United States.

"The terrorists were on the payroll of Saudi Arabia", he insisted. Officials were equally perturbed by the undiplomatic remarks of US President Donald Trump, who, during a recent visit to Riyadh, reinvigorated American support for the kingdom and distrust of Tehran. One showed a toddler being handed through a first-floor window to safety outside as an armed man looked on.

However, for one Iranian priest it is prayer that counts now.

Comments