The defence agency said that the ground-based interceptor missile which was sacked from Vandenberg Air Force Base in Southern California smashed into a target launched from the Marshall Islands, and destroyed it.
Vice Adm. Jim Syring told reporters Wednesday that the interceptor that shot from the ground-based midcourse defense system (GMD) and blew up a mock ICBM over the Pacific "helps us outpace the threat through 2020".
The interceptor, launched from Vandenburg Air Force Base, was equipped with a boost vehicle rocket made by Orbital ATK; Orbital also supplied the ICBM that was used as a target missile during the test.
The MDA Director, Vice Admiral Jim Syring called the test a critical milestone, as it demonstrates that the United States has a capable and credible deterrent against a real threat. With congressional support, the Pentagon is increasing by the end of this year the number of deployed interceptors, based in California and Alaska, to 44 from the current total of 36.
Syring said the test showed that the USA was "ahead of where we think the threat will go" from North Korea for the next several years. The test was the first intercept for the new CE-II Block 1 kill vehicle that uses a newly designed divert thrusters meant to fix persistent problems guiding the kill vehicle.
Previously, the system had only hit its target in nine out of 17 attempts, and it had only been tested against shorter-ranged missiles, prior to Tuesday's test.
"We are replicating our ability to defend the United States of America from North Korea, today", Ellison said.
Australia gears up for State of Origin series
Andrew Fifita has revealed he's prepared to choose footy over family and miss the birth of his third child for a NSW jumper. NSW captain Boyd Cordner believes Jarryd Hayne has become a key weapon for the Blues off the field as much as on it.
The announcement comes in the wake of North Korea's third missile test in three weeks.
Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Alabama), chairman of the House Armed Services strategic forces subcommittee, said the successful test will help deter USA adversaries.
Syring said initial results from the test indicate that the interceptor and ICBM was "a direct hit, a complete obliteration", but added that his agency will analyze the data over the next 30 days.
This was the ninth time the US has conducted an intercept test like this since 2004, and it was the first test on an ICBM-type target.
"Nothing is changing North Korea's actions and so it's regrouping and saying okay, what are we going to do if this is going to happen every other day", said Haley.
After the United States military successfully tested a new type of anti-missile rocket Tuesday, North Korea leader Kim Jong Un remained defiant, issuing another in his series of grave warnings to the US of his intentions to use nuclear weapons.
A ground-based missile defense system contains sensors and they are deployed across the world, including the seas, and in space.




Comments