One of three London Bridge attackers, Youssef Zaghba, a 22-year-old Italian Moroccan national, was allowed into the United Kingdom when he arrived at London's Stansted airport from Bologna in January even though he was on an European Union watch list, the BBC reported on Wednesday.
His identity was confirmed as counter-terror agencies faced intense scrutiny after it emerged another member of the terror gang, Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, had been known to authorities.
He appeared in a Channel 4 documentary entitled "The Jihadis Next Door" about British extremists that was broadcast past year, British media reported.
Khuram Butt, 27, along with two other terrorists plowed a van into pedestrians on the iconic London Bridge and then started stabbing revellers in nearby Borough market last Saturday, killing seven people.
Youssef Zaghba had been flagged to British intelligence services after telling Italian police "I'm going to be a terrorist" when he was reportedly stopped trying to travel to Syria.
Italy's main newspapers said Zaghba's mother was from Bologna and his father was Moroccan.
London police have said all 12 people held since the attack from the Barking neighbourhood, have been freed.
The Islamic State terror group has claimed responsibility for the massacre, which sparked fears that Britain is in the grip of a wave of copycat incidents.
"However, there was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned and the investigation had been prioritised accordingly", police said on Monday, without providing details on why Butt had come to the attention of law enforcement.
Reaction to the attack has dominated the final days of campaigning before Thursday's general election in Britain.
French Open semifinals: Murray-Wawrinka, Nadal-Thiem
The quarterfinal match between fifth-seeded Elina Svitolina and No. 3 Simona Halep at the French Open is going into a third set. "But I got through that and it made a huge, huge difference to me". "Not many players can "win" a Grand Slam like Stan".
Yesterday the anti-radicalisation Quilliam Foundation said it too had reported Butt after he became involved in a "violent scuffle" with its researcher Dr Usama Hasan at an Eid event last July.
Police and the security agencies are facing questions about whether they missed chances to thwart the attack. "I want to say sorry to the families that lost their loved ones".
He said: "Once a suspect is out of our country, it's the responsibility of others to investigate and monitor him as they think is appropriate".
Butt had worked for the London Underground for six months a year ago as a trainee customer services assistant, Transport for London told the BBC.
"The problem occurs when we know someone is moving in extremist circles but we don't have evidence to indicate that they are plotting an attack", said the British government official who spoke on condition of anonymity.
The number of police officers in England and Wales fell by nearly 20,000 between 2010 and 2016 - years when May, as home secretary, was in charge of policing.
He was working at a London restaurant and was still in contact with his mother.
Boro Bistro manager Vincent Le Berre told Brittany news outlet Le Telegramme how his colleague was attacked in a bar near Borough Market.
A minute's silence was observed in Britain at 11 a.m. local time (1000 GMT) in memory of those killed during the attack.
Charisse O'Leary said: "I am deeply shocked, saddened and numbed by the actions of my ex-partner who has killed and injured so many innocent people". But he apparently was also on the radar of many in his own neighborhood.





Comments