Australia's prime minister says he will discuss with state leaders changing state laws so that unsafe criminals are not released from prison early on parole.
Prime minister Malcolm Turnbull said the terror attack underlines the need for Australia to "remain vigilant, never to be deterred, always defiant in the face of Islamist terrorism". A gunman who killed a man and took a woman hostage before dying in a police shootout had been acquitted of plotting a terror attack at a Sydney army base years earlier, police said Tuesday, June 6, 2017.
Australian police said on Tuesday they were treating a siege in Melbourne as an "act of terrorism" after a claim by Islamic State that one of its fighters was the gunman responsible. Police thwarted that plot before it could be executed.
He had "a long criminal history" and was on parole after being released from jail on a separate offence previous year, Mr Ashton said.
A gunman who killed one man during a siege in an apartment building near Melbourne and who claimed links to Isis may have lured police to the scene before opening fire on them.
Victoria Police Commissioner Graham Ashton said police had received a call "from someone claiming to have a hostage in an apartment" at the address and "making threats to the hostage if police intervened".
A fatal shoot-out claimed by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group is being treated as a terrorist attack by Australian police, as the prime minister condemned it as "shocking and cowardly".
Turnbull also questioned about Khayre had been able to be granted parole, when he was a known offender with "a long record of violence" and had "connections, at least in the past, with violent extremism".
"We're always concerned about copy cats", Australia's acting police commissioner Michael Phelan said, according to NBC. The woman he took hostage was an escort he'd hired, and she managed to escape the ordeal unharmed.
Kiwis beat British to reach America's Cup challenger finals
In the other semi-final, SoftBank Team Japan lead Sweden's Artemis Racing 3-1 ahead of their two races on Thursday. In the third race, SoftBank Team Japan didn't give Artemis enough room at the fifth gate mark and was penalized.
Police were called after neighbours heard the shotgun discharge as Khayre killed a Chinese-born Australian man employed by the escort agency in the lobby.
At 6pm, he left the building and fired on police, wounding three of them before they gunned him down.
Officials are also investigating a phone call made to a local TV broadcaster.
Three police employees suffered injuries during the incidents but they were not life-threatening, police said, without elaborating.
The distressed and tearful woman said she hated the man who killed her son.
Corrections Victoria confirmed Khayre's Global Positioning System tracker was tampered with while the siege was under way.
Authorities had responded to reports of an explosion at the building - which turned out to be a gunshot - in the affluent beach suburb of Brighton and arrived to find a dead body in the foyer.
Khayre wounded three police officers before he was shot dead as he burst out.
Authorities said the 29-year-old gunman had a long criminal history and was on parole at the time of the attack.





Comments