Howard says that the first real break in the case came last month, when detectives allegedly discovered an evidentiary link between Saucedo and the 2015 slaying of his mother's boyfriend, 61-year-old Raul Romero.
In the most deadly single attack, two women and a 12-year-old girl were shot to death in front of a home before dawn on June 12, 2016.
A former city bus driver suspected in a string of nine deadly shootings that spread fear in Phoenix declared "I'm innocent" as residents of the terrorized neighborhoods Tuesday expressed relief over the arrest and frustration that it took so long.
Police in Phoenix, Arizona believe they have the man responsible for killing nine people in a string of shootings over a two year period.
"It was about time", said Graciela Beltran, breaking down in tears in her living room as she recounted the life and death of her son, 32-year-old Horacio de Jesus Pena.
The 23-year-old Phoenix man arrested in a series of shootings in which nine people were killed has appeared in court, but records from that overnight appearance have been temporarily sealed by a judge at the request of prosecutors. The tip that led to Saucedo was one of the latter, Howard said, just another observation in the Latino-dominated neighborhoods of southern Phoenix that a person and auto matched the sketch that police had begun to circulate around the city after the shootings began.
Saucedo appeared in court late Monday night and a judge ordered him held without bail.
Williams announces, Monday, May 8, 2017, in Phoenix, the arrest of 23-year-old Aaron Saucedo in connection with the serial street shootings that terrorized the Phoenix area over four months in 2016.
Trump, Putin to meet in July, Russians announce
Russian officials had described the individual as Lavrov's official photographer without disclosing that he also worked for TASS. Former national security adviser Michael Flynn was sacked for lying about his contacts with Kislyak late past year .
After an investigation, however, police said they linked Saucedo, dubbed the "serial street shooter", to the random murders of eight others between August 2015 and July 2016. They said there is now no known motive for the shootings. Authorities say Saucedo did not know the other victims.
Police say they do not know what motivated Saucedo and that he did not have any connection to eight of the people who were killed.
Gisela Castro, the mother of shooting victim Manuel Castro-Garcia, said news of the arrest felt like she was reliving the day she was told her son had been killed.
Police fielded thousands of tips, went door-to-door in a largely Hispanic neighborhood of Phoenix where the shootings happened and analyzed ballistics from a different, unrelated serial shooting case.
Former Phoenix Police Chief Joe Yahner, who had been working on the investigation during his time in the department, was "undeniably relentless" in making sure Williams kept the momentum going, she said.
It would take almost a year after the final shooting for Phoenix police to make an arrest in the street shooter case, based on a tip from the public.
"The only thing I can say is thank God there's going to be justice and we leave it in God's hands".
"We were investigating the freeway shooting case and not anything else", Garcia said. They said none of the evidence tied him to the I-10 cases that terrified the city for several weeks. The next month, he shot at a 24-year-old man and the man's 4-year-old nephew, though both were not wounded, according to Williams. "The fact of them finding somebody, at least it was some type of news", she said.




Comments