Turkey's main opposition party contests referendum results

Adjust Comment Print

Hundreds of people lined up outside election board offices in Ankara and Istanbul to submit petitions requesting the board reverse its pronouncement.

(AP Photo/Petros Karadjias). People walk in central Istanbul's Taksim Square, Tuesday, April 18, 2017. Tana de Zulueta, head of the observer mission, told reporters that the group had paid a courtesy call and held a "cordial" meeting with board members.

Demonstrations against the outcome of a referendum expanding the president's powers are continuing in Istanbul, where protesters are demanding the resignation of the election board that has refused to void the vote.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had earlier said the death toll as a result of the military coup attempt stood at 246 people, excluding the coup plotters, and over 2,000 people were wounded.

The demonstrations began in smaller numbers after Sunday's vote with clattering pots and pans, but have since drawn thousands of participants expressing outrage at alleged voting irregularities.

In a neutral statement, the government limited itself to saying that the will of the Turkish people must be respected.

Turkey's main opposition began a battle today to annul a referendum handing President Tayyip Erdogan sweeping new powers, while the bar association and an global monitor said an illegal move by electoral authorities may have swung the vote.A defiant Erdogan, whose narrow victory exposed the nation's deep divisions, has said Sunday's vote ended all debate on the more powerful presidency he has long sought, and told European observers who criticised it: "talk to the hand".Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, whose job will cease to exist once the constitutional changes take full effect, said Erdogan would be invited to rejoin the ruling AK Party as soon as official results are announced, a sign the government has no intention of waiting to see the outcome of opposition appeals.Under the outgoing constitution, the president had been required to remain impartial and renounce party political ties.Few in Turkey expect legal challenges to the referendum to lead to a recount, let alone a re-run.

Outcry after Arkansas judge who stayed executions joins anti-death penalty rally
The state originally planned to execute eight inmates, but two had previously been blocked by state and federal courts. In a victory for the state Sunday, a federal judge in western Arkansas denied a stay request by Davis.

"We demand the cancellation of this referendum", Tezcan said.

The board met for seven hours Wednesday before rejecting the request. Another petitioner, Fusun Cicekoglu, 61, said, "I will not accept my "no" vote be voided and I will not accept "yes" ballots cast illegally".

He says the party's next stop is Turkey's constitutional court and, if it is unsuccessful there, then the European Court of Human Rights.

The Anadolu news agency reported Wednesday that the High Electoral Board voted 10-1 against the decision.

In an address to legislators from his ruling party on Tuesday, Binali Yildirim said the people had voted to switch from a parliamentary to a presidential system, adding: the "opposition should not speak after the people have spoken".

Turkey's Supreme Election Board (YSK) said Tuesday that the disputed unstamped ballots cast in Sunday's constitutional referendum would be considered legitimate and were not sufficient reason to invalidate "the citizens' right to vote". He said the party would use all legal paths to challenge the vote.

Comments