Trump calls for new United Nations sanctions against North Korea

Adjust Comment Print

The nuclear-powered submarine the USS Michigan, which arrived in the South Korean port of Busan, is built to carry and launch ballistic missiles and Tomahawk cruise missiles. On Apr. 8, US Pacific Commander Harry Harris announced that the USS Carl Vinson had been ordered to depart Singapore and sail to the Western Pacific Ocean to waters near the Korean Peninsula, but the revelation that the carrier was still in the Indian Ocean as of Apr. 15, a week later, whipped up a storm of allegations that this announcement had been a lie. Two Japanese destroyers also recently sailed with the USA carrier group in the western Pacific.

The paper likened the aircraft carrier to a "gross animal" and said a strike on it would be "an actual example to show our military's force".

"Our revolutionary forces are combat-ready to sink the USA nuclear-powered aircraft carrier with a single strike" to demonstrate their might, the Rodong Sinmun, a newspaper affiliated with the North's ruling Workers' Party, said in a commentary.

Still, it wasn't front page news.

US ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley, speaking on NBC's "Today" programme, said the United States and the global community were maintaining pressure on North Korean leader Kim Jong Un but were "not trying to pick a fight with him".

A US Navy F/A-18 launches from the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier in this undated handout picture released November 1, 2014.

Confusion arose when U.S. President Donald Trump claimed earlier this month that the armada was changing course from Singapore and heading straight into waters off the Korean Peninsula, apparently as a warning to North Korea to refrain from any provocation. In the past, it has marked important anniversaries with tests of its weapons.

Washington opposes Pyongyang's missile and military nuclear programs, which North Korea says act as deterrence against a potential invasion by its adversaries.

It has also carried out a series of ballistic missile tests in defiance of United Nations sanctions.

Part of North Korea's missile arsenal.

Green next Canucks coach
Henrik and Daniel Sedin were the only other players to surpass the 35-point mark with 50 and 44, respectively. He guided the Comets to a 120-78-20 record and an appearance in the Calder Cup Final two seasons ago.

"The South Korean and USA militaries are fully ready for North Korea's nuclear test", Moon said.

The Trump administration has several times warned that all options, including a military strike, were being considered to halt Pyongyang's missile and nuclear activities.

"All I can say is that South Korean and US military authorities are fully prepared for the possibility of North Korea's nuclear test", he said.

Japan's show of naval force reflects growing concern that North Korea could strike it with nuclear or chemical warheads.

Some Japanese ruling party lawmakers are urging Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to acquire strike weapons that could hit North Korean missile launchers before any attack.

Meanwhile, Japan's navy, which is mostly a destroyer fleet, is the second largest in Asia after China's, has already joined the USA strike group for military drills as it nears the Korean waters.

Envoys on the North Korean nuclear issue from the United States, South Korea and Japan are due to meet in Tokyo on Tuesday.

South Korea has put its forces on heightened alert. Japan's government has started issuing directions to the public on websites on what to do in the event of a ballistic missile attack.

China is North Korea's sole major ally but has been angered by its nuclear and missile programmes and is frustrated by Pyongyang's belligerence.

Adding to the heightened tensions, North Korea detained a U.S. citizen on Saturday as he attempted to leave the country.

Comments