What will Bill O'Reilly do now?

Adjust Comment Print

The downfall of Fox's most popular - and most lucrative - personality began with an April 1 report in The New York Times that five women had been paid a total of $13 million to keep quiet about disturbing encounters with O'Reilly, who continued to deny any wrongdoing in a statement hours after he was sacked. O'Reilly's ratings overshadow Carlson's, and his show's viewership fell this week while he was on vacation and other Fox hosts subbed in.

As part of its primetime shakeup after the departure of Bill O'Reilly, Fox News has chose to move the popular show The Five to 9 p.m. ET, beginning on Monday, April 24.

"It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims", O'Reilly said.

Fox News Channel says "Tucker Carlson Tonight" will begin airing an hour earlier to fill the time slot vacated by Bill O'Reilly, who lost his job Wednesday after allegations that he sexually harassed women.

In case you haven't been keeping up with the news on Fox News, the network has been getting a lot of bad publicity over sexual harassment allegations since a number of female Fox employees accused the network's former CEO Roger Ailes of misconduct.

Southland attorney Lisa Bloom, who represents three women accusing O'Reilly of sexual harassment, called the announcement by Fox News a victory for victims who were courageous enough to come forward - and hopes more will now do the same.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Fox News is planning to "cut ties" with The O'Reilly Factor host after he was hit with SEVERAL allegations of sexual harassment.

Thousands of Britons to be hit by Australian visa clampdown
The ministry also added that it's in touch with Australia as well regarding the changes in that country's work visa programme. The wideranging shake-up to the citizenship test which will also include strict new English language requirements.

"After a thorough and careful review of allegations against him, the Company and Bill O'Reilly have agreed that Mr. O'Reilly will not return to the Fox News Channel", the statement said.

Covering O'Reilly's departure is awkward for Fox News, no doubt, but ignoring it forever seemed impossible.

Olbermann recalled his lengthy rivalry with the O'Reilly Factor host, and dismissed the idea that it was in any way fictitious.

O'Reilly had worked for Fox News since its 1996 launch, and the end of his career there came the same day the official Vatican newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano, photographed him shaking hands with Pope Francis in St. Peter's Square. (O'Reilly denied the accusations.) Another female Fox contributor subsequently came forward with a new complaint against the Fox host, and there are reports of more.

"That's bigger than O'Reilly", he said. "The O'Reilly Factor" has generated a huge ad bonanza for Fox, one that yielded more than $178 million in 2015. Women protested outside Fox News headquarters. With a profit center gone, 21st Century Fox stock fell nearly 1 percent Wednesday in heavy trading.

O'Reilly's fans aren't likely to be happy about him losing his job, particularly on a controversy set in motion by the Times. In the past four months, according to the New York Times, Carlson has replaced three mega-personalities at Fox News. "It speaks to a company that has recognized that the best business decision for them is to end their relationship with Bill O'Reilly".

Comments