The Basque parliamentary spokesman for Spain's ruling People's Party, which has refused to negotiate with ETA and called for its full dissolution, said the handover was a final surrender after six years of broken promises.
The Basque terror group ETA revealed the locations of weapons dumps in France, signaling the movement has disarmed after suspending its struggle for independence from Spain, according to global monitors.
TRT World's Europe correspondent Francis Collings reports from Spain.
An event is being planned in the French Basque city of Bayonne on Saturday afternoon to mark so-called "Disarmament Day".
Ram Manikkalingam, third right, president of the Verification Commission for disarmament of ETA, the Basque separatist group, poses for the media with French Mayor of Bayonne Jean-Rene Etchegaray, right, and other members of the Verification Commission ahead of announcing that ETA handed over its arms in Bayonne, southwestern France, Saturday, April 8, 2017.
The ban capped a tumultuous 10-day crackdown that saw pro-government groups rough up several opposition leaders and another seek refuge in a foreign embassy to escape arrest.
The Basque separatist group ETA says it has given up its entire arsenal of weapons and explosives to civil society groups - but warns the disarmament process isn't formally complete.
The group provided France with a list of locations for its arms caches - a move welcomed by Paris but deemed insufficient by Spain, which called on ETA to disband completely.
Stockholm truck attack: Authorities arrest second suspect
He declined to name the suspect, who had been arrested within hours of Friday's attack on shoppers in Stockholm. A failed asylum seeker in Berlin drove a truck into a Christmas market in December 2016, killing 12 people.
However, the group instead delivered coordinates to the eight weapons caches to the Italian Archbishop of Bologna and Irish Priest Harold Good, who then passed the information on to French authorities in the early hours of Saturday morning. "The French and Spanish governments must help to resolve all the consequences of this conflict".
He said fellow Peace Artisans were deployed at each location until French authorities arrive to take possession of the weapons.
In a newly published letter, Eta said the process of disarmament had been "difficult", praising the autonomous Basque authorities while accusing Spain and France of being "stubborn".
"They will get nothing from a democratic state like Spain", added Mendez de Vigo, whose government has resisted lobbying to move ETA prisoners to facilities close to the Basque Country.
The last victim was a French policemen shot in 2010.
There's also an issue of what to do with the hundreds of jailed ETA members and the handful still on the run.
Hundreds of killings remain unsolved and the arms caches could help lead authorities to perpetrators. "What remains to be done is to wipe out the hatred that ETA embedded in a large part of Basque society".
Other attacks - including a 1987 auto bomb at a Barcelona supermarket, which killed 21 including a pregnant woman and two children - horrified Spaniards and drew global outrage.




Comments