Lothar Matthaus slams UEFA for Borussia Dortmund fixture rescheduling

Adjust Comment Print

Two suspects "from the Islamist spectrum have come into the focus of the criminal prosecution", Frauke Koehler, a spokeswoman for federal prosecutors, said, adding that one of the two had been arrested.

Police were unable to specify what type of explosives were used, but they described the devices as "serious" and chief Gregor Lange confirmed they were working under the assumption that it was a "targeted attack on BVB's team". We have to live with the fact that the match was scheduled. "The motives are yet unclear". The authorities are investigating three copies of a letter that was found near the blast site. After this an Islamic extremist background seems possible.

A letter claiming responsibility was found near the site of the blasts, prosecutor Sandra Luecke told a late evening news conference.

Monaco continued to pressurise and indeed dominate the game, which raised questions as to how much the attack on Tuesday had affected the Dortmund players.

His father said Bartra is shocked by the attack.

Borussia Dortmund fans sit in the Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund, Germany, Tuesday, April 11, 2017.

"We do not just play for us today".

Trump on Putin: We're Going to 'See What Happens'
The United States is prepared to "do more" if necessary in Syria, US ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said on Sunday. Moscow has strongly objected to a U.S. strike against the Syrian air base the West believes the sarin attack was launched from.

"It is very hard today to think to go and play football".

"This was about being courageous and we showed we are fearless. We will play for everyone. we want to show that terror and hate can never determine our actions", said the Dortmund boss. Time helps. But ask me prior to the match next week if we are ready. This team had to process the incomprehensible in a short space of time. "It was close but also very far from us and last night we felt how it is like to be in a situation like this and I don't wish anyone a feeling like this".

The explosion triggered by three explosive objects happened in Hoechsten district of the western German city of Dortmund, forcing postponement of the match to Wednesday.

The club confirmed earlier on Wednesday on its website that Bartra's operation had been completed without complications and the former Barcelona player would be sidelined "several weeks as he recovers".

Germany midfielder Weigl conceded the atmosphere had been particularly tense but understood the decision to go ahead with the game.

Given the circumstances, he is doing well, sporting director Michael Zorc said.

Comments