The driver rammed a auto carrying explosives into a police convoy before bursting into flames on the famous avenue, in an "attempted attack" on security forces, France's interior minister said.
In the Champs Elysees area in Paris, the auto crashed into the van of the gendarmerie, and then caught fire.
Police and security forces have been repeatedly attacked by extremists in France.
"The threat is extremely high", Collomb said on Twitter. The bill may also empower officials to shut down places of worship on the grounds of seeking to prevent a possible future attack.
London's Police Commander Cressida Dick called the van attack near Finsbury Park Mosque was clearly an attack on Muslims, and said people in Muslim communities will see more of their police protecting them in the coming days.
The auto hit the front of the police van as it was overtaking it and caught fire, a police spokeswoman told reporters.
Police carry away the dead body of a man who rammed into a police convoy and detonated an explosive device on the Champs Elysees avenue in Paris in Paris, France, Monday, June 19, 2017. The Paris prosecutor's office has opened an anti-terror investigation into Monday's incident. There were no other casualties from the attempted attack, and no group claimed responsibility.
Valtteri Bottas remains uncertain about his Mercedes future
Bottas said he was drawing on his past experience while approaching the question of his future, and that it all "feels normal". The timeline is quite flexible but there is no rush really. "I don't know when I will know", said Bottas.
"The auto contained weapons, explosives, enough to allow him to blow up this vehicle", Collomb said.
"We were better off inside than outside", Chrystel said.
Police tell The Associated Press that the suspect is from a suburb of Paris and had been "flagged for links to extremism".
France remains under a state of emergency imposed after the November 2015 attacks in Paris, when IS militants slaughtered 130 people in a night of carnage at venues across the city. French Shooting Federation chief Philippe Crochard said Djaziri had been licensed for six years, and a source close to the probe said the attacker had requested a renewal of his permit in February.
No one else was injured, and the Champs-Elysees reopened overnight after being closed for hours for security measures.
Eighty-six people died in a truck attack on a crowd in Nice a year ago and similar incidents have occurred in other European cities. The government will discuss extending the measure through November 1 at a Cabinet meeting Wednesday.





Comments