UK acquires apartments for tenants displaced by tower fire

Adjust Comment Print

Ms Constance said: "While we're confident that in Scotland we have stringent building and fire safety regulations which contribute to keeping people safe, following the tragic events at Grenfell Tower it is imperative that we undertake a thorough and critical review of our regulations".

Meanwhile, the first funeral for one of the first identified victims - 23-year-old Syrian refugee Mohammad Alhajali - was held on Wednesday at a mosque in east London.

"This council is committed to installing fire sprinklers in 25 council blocks with 10 storeys or taller because last week's tragedy showed we all need to bolster fire safety measures for our residents", Cllr Butler said. "Ever since he moved away from us, we tried to be united with him and his brothers, and now, instead, we have been united by his body", his family said.

At least 79 people lost their lives due to the blaze that destroyed the 24-story tower block in the Kensington district of the city last week, according to the London Metropolitan Police.

The Department for Communities and Local Government said extra public money had been found so the flats could be fitted out more quickly.

Presidential polls: Kovind gets 25000-vote boost as Shiv Sena backs NDA
Sena president Uddhav Thackeray declared the party's decision on Tuesday evening after conferring with senior party leaders. Kovind would become the second Dalit President of India , after KR Narayanan who served as the President from 1997 to 2002.

British officials said on Sunday that new exterior cladding used in a renovation of Grenfell Tower may have been banned under United Kingdom building regulations. Communities Secretary Sajid Javid said Wednesday that the 68 apartments are ‚à "úall newly built social housing‚à "ù located in the Kensington Row development in the Kensington and Chelsea borough where the fire occurred".

The announcement came after much anger from survivors and victims' families in the aftermath at the official response to the deadly blaze.

The homes are located within the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, in the more affluent south end. The prime minister also laid out plans for a new independent public advocate to speak up for families in such crises.

The prime minister added that she and her government would create new strategies to respond to major disasters, which could include a "civil disaster response task force".

Comments