Australia says to resume air strikes in Syria after Russian Federation threat

Adjust Comment Print

Since then, the agreement has been a crucial link that has allowed Moscow and Washington to coordinate their military actions in the region, in which Iran, Israel, Russia, Syria, Turkey, and the USA with its allies carry out attacks in pursuit of often competing aims.

USA warplanes launched three other airstrikes against the forces there. In late 2015, it extended air operations into Syria on US' request.

Tajzadeh appeared to up the stakes in a tweet endorsing efforts to see Trump thrown out of office.

It was not known what exactly was hit and Iran has provided no details.

The comments are in line with statements from other Iranian politicians and military officials during the past several days, following Iran's missile strike on several key areas in Syria, a move Tehran claimed was in reaction to a recent ISIS-backed terror strike inside Iran.

"It displayed hostile intent and advanced on coalition forces", the statement read.

One official said that the drone was shot down because it was "assessed to be a threat". Russian Federation also threatened to target aircraft flown by the US and its allies over Syria. But weeks later, the Russian and USA militaries continued to use the hotline, with the number of calls increasing, American officials said.

"They haven't laid out their plans for journalists, but of course there's a strategy there", the source said.

The remarks came amid questions whether the strike - Iran's first in the Syrian war - had been effective.

In September, Australia said it would widen the scope of targets in the air war against ISIL by allowing its pilots to strike support and logistics resources in Iraq and Syria.

EU, Britain possible to strike 'fair Brexit deal', says Michel Barnier
At their first meeting in Brussels on Monday, British and European Union negotiators agreed on a timetable for the Brexit talks. If its assessment is positive, the talks will then move on to "scoping the future relationship on trade and other matters".

The military leader additionally bragged of Iran's ability to flex its military strength in the region.

Syrian Information Minister Mohammad Ramez Tourjman said Iran's missile strikes against ISIS positions in the Syrian city of Deir ez-Zor have sent a strong message to the government of Donald Trump to drop any potential plan for launching an attack on Iran or mounting a campaign to isolate the Islamic Republic on the global arena.

The bill imposes mandatory sanctions on people involved with Iran's ballistic missile program and those who do business with them.

"We will retaliate against the terrorists and their supporters who martyred our people", the IRGC's second-in-command, Lieutenant General Hossein Salami, said after the Tehran attacks. "Iran has the full will to display its military might and deliver pinpoint blows to any location of terrorists".

The U.S. on Sunday shot down a Syrian jet for the first time during the conflict near the city of Raqqa after it dropped bombs near the U.S. -allied Syrian Democratic Forces, which are battling IS.

The attack was similar to one earlier this month in which an Iranian drone shot on USA forces in Syria.

Mohamad Bazzi, the former Middle East bureau chief at Newsday, wrote in The Atlantic: "While Trump has changed his mind on a number of foreign-policy questions since taking office, he has been consistent in his belief that Iran, the world's main state sponsor of terrorism, poses the greatest threat to USA interests in the Middle East".

The incident occurred in the same vicinity as previous conflicts with pro-regime forces, near the combat outpost in At-Tanf, where a contingent of US and coalition advisers are supporting a force to fight the Islamic State, also known as ISIS.

US forces will not hesitate to confront hostile forces affiliated with Iran and Russian Federation, according to CENTCOM.

Comments