Suspect in train station blast confirmed dead

Adjust Comment Print

The man who was shot was wearing a rucksack and a bomb belt, according to Belgian newspaper La Libre, quoting prosecutors, as quoted by The Independent.

A police spokesman said: 'At the moment, the police are in numbers at the station and everything is under control'.

Witnesses at the scene reported seeing a man in his thirties detonate an explosive device after allegedly shouting "Allahu Akbar".

Pictures on social media showed what appeared to be a small ball of flames.

Federal prosecutor Eric Van der Sypt said soldiers "neutralised" a male suspect at the Central Station immediately after the explosion. Prime Minister Charles Michel urged people via Twitter to follow instructions from the authorities.

A police spokesman said the man had been shot by soldiers who were on patrol in Brussels at the time.

In March 2016, 32 people died in attacks on Brussels, later claimed by the Islamic State group.

Authorities are unsure whether the station will be open tomorrow morning and are considering alternative measures to ease traffic in during the morning rush reports VTM Nieuws.

He compared Tuesday's incident to that on Paris' Champs-Elysees avenue a day earlier, when a man was killed when he rammed his vehicle, filled with explosive and weapons, into a French police convoy.

Handel wins most expensive congressional race in history
In a typical fashion, the 70-year-old Republican continued his tweetstorm praising his ' Make America Great Again ' campaign. Democrats outspent Republicans, in the hope of making the race a referendum against President Trump and his agenda.

"It's one of three train stations in Brussels, in the capital, which is really in the heart of the city", Buggenhout said.

The train station has been evacuated.

It is a few hundred metres from the Grand Place, a UNESCO world heritage site.

Rail worker Nicolas Van Herrewegen told Reuters that he was heading downstairs toward the underground platforms that serve long-distance and suburban lines running under the city centre.

Rail company spokeswoman Elisa Roux said that trains were being diverted from the station and replacement buses sent out to take passengers to the area. "Then he cried 'Allahu Akbar, ' and he blew up a [baggage cart]".

Recently, there have been incidents involving extremists in Paris and London, including the attack by a van driver who struck down worshippers outside a London mosque.

An armed soldier stands guard as police activies go on outside of the Brussels Central Station after a neutralized terrorist attack attempt, in Brussels, Belgium, 20 June 2017.

No bystanders were injured in the explosion and the station was evacuated.

Comments