79 people feared dead in London high-rise fire

Adjust Comment Print

Her government is trying to make up ground in reacting to a fire that trapped people in their beds in the early hours of Wednesday, with many unable to escape as the flames raced up the building, cutting off exit routes and forcing some to jump.

Mr Hammond also suggested that in the days since the fire the government had been given advice that retro-fitting the type of sprinkler systems that were missing from Grenfell Tower is not always the best course of action, in contradiction to statements made by the Fire Brigade Union and in the report into the Lakanal House fire in 2013, which killed six people in South London.

Footage from inside the gutted 24-storey building has been released, showing the extent of the damage caused by the blaze.

"Sadly that work leads me to believe that the number of people missing, but as yet unaccounted for has risen from 58".

The government is struggling to find temporary housing for people who lived in the 24-story tower.

Yesterday, Downing Street announced that households affected by the fire would be given a down-payments of at least £5,500. The grateful survivors who were welcomed in by mosques, churches and community centers nearly immediately said they were "thankful for Ramadan". Cundy added that authorities are investigating whether any crimes had been committed in the fire.

But Cdr Cundy warned of the potential "terrible reality" that some people may never be identified due to the intensity of the fire.

After a church ceremony to pay respect to those who died in the fire, London mayor Sadiq Khan said he found "a community frustrated and angry".

Residents said the government response was too little, too late.

NBA Trade: Celtics, 76ers swap top picks
With Boston not taking Fultz at No. 1, there's a lot of question marks surrounding who they could take at No. 3 now. Simmons missed the entire season with a foot injury but is expected to play his rookie season in 2017-18.

Mrs May was not supporting a proposal put forward by opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn to seize unoccupied properties to rehouse survivors of the fire, the spokeswoman said. One focus is the exterior cladding used in the renovation: Senior ministers of the British government say it appears to have been banned under United Kingdom building codes.

It was reported that the material used in the cladding covering Grenfell was Reynobond PE - a cheaper, more flammable version of two available options.

"If something needs to be done to make buildings safe, it will be done", finance minister Philip Hammond told the BBC's Andrew Marr show.

Greg Hands told Sky News that "my understanding is that the cladding that was reported was not in accordance with United Kingdom building regulations".

"Current building regulations allow its use in both low-rise and high-rise structures".

She added: "There are people in there, obviously, who have been subject to a very intense fire, and that will make some of the identification very hard, which is why it's even more important that we make sure we do this in a measured, careful and very well managed way".

Detectives are focusing on people that they have been told were in the building at the time of the fire but have not been seen since.

Rydon, the company that carried out the recent refurbishment, said the "project met all required building regulations".

Comments