United Kingdom and EU Brexit negotiations to start on June 19

Adjust Comment Print

Despite the disappointing results last week, German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble said after speaking to his British counterpart, Phillip Hammond, he believes the United Kingdom government will now start to pick up its feet on Brexit negotiations.

Following tomorrow's meeting, talks will continue on a monthly basis throughout the summer.

The Brexit Department said in a statement that the UK's withdrawal and future ties are "intimately linked".

Mrs May has said Britain will leave both the single market and the customs union. "We know this would damage the capacity of the creative industries to deliver", Kampfner says.

And the source told the BBC that it was understood the talks would broadly follow the EU's preferred sequence, dealing with issues of citizens' rights and a framework for calculating outstanding financial liabilities before moving on, possibly later in the year, to deal with the UK's future relationship with the EU.

"We are ready as soon as the United Kingdom itself is ready", he said.

"We believe that the withdrawal process can not be concluded without the future relationship also being taken into account".

"All the options are balanced and come with obligations", an European Union official working on Brexit said, noting that May had seemed to be looking for a sweeping free trade deal like that agreed previous year with Canada but that some of those calling for "soft" Brexit cited arrangements such as those with Norway and Turkey.

Key dates for May as she seeks deal with Northern Ireland's DUP
Scotland voted to remain in the European Union , and Ms Davidson has called for a softer approach to the withdrawal process. There was no need for her to put her position on the line, and she had said earlier that an election was not needed.

"But let us be clear and organized and once the negotiations have started we should be well aware that it'll be more hard to move backwards".

Prompted by her poor election showing, particularly among pro-EU young people who fear losses of jobs and opportunity for Brexit, some of her most senior ministers and two former Conservative prime ministers have called for a rethink.

The spokesman added that although some issues would be given early priority "the withdrawal and future are intimately linked".

The spokesman added: "In particular, we want to move ahead on securing the rights of European Union citizens in the United Kingdom and UK citizens living in the EU".

Finance minister Philip Hammond has led calls for a softer strategy on Brexit, prioritising the economy.

The EU's executive Commission said in a statement Friday that the first round of negotiations in Brussels will be part of a "sequenced approach to the talks".

His comments come after the EU's chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, warned London to "not waste time" and begin negotiations as soon as possible.

Comments