Iran arrests more, kills mastermind behind Tehran attacks

Adjust Comment Print

"The mastermind and main commander of terrorist attacks on the parliament and Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini was killed today by the security forces", Mahmoud Alavi, minister of intelligence, was quoted as saying by Tasnim news agency.

Alavi noted that about 43 terrorists have been identified and arrested following the recent terrorist attack in the country, adding that some of them were in connection with the Tehran twin attacks and some of them were planning for terrorist acts in the future too.

Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard indirectly blamed Saudi Arabia for the attacks.

The Iranian Intelligence Ministry has announced that the mastermind behind the Tehran terrorist attacks has been killed.

However, the family names of the terrorists were not revealed due to social and security considerations.

Parliament speaker Ali Larijani also attacked the United States and Saudi Arabia, which he called "a tribal state very far from anything like a democracy".

British cabinet discussed DUP talks
Foster said her party would go into the talks "with the national interest at heart". Ms Davidson said: "We do have to make sure that we invite other people in now".

London- Iran's intelligence ministry said Thursday that five of its nationals, who were ISIS members and had fought in Iraq and Syria, carried out the attack on the Iranian parliament and Ruhollah Khomeini's shrine a day earlier.

While ISIS claimed responsibility, Iranian officials have also suggested Saudi Arabia may have played a role - and Iran's foreign minister called the official USA response "repugnant", after President Trump ended his expression of condolences for the victims with the message that "states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote". A non-Iranian suspect has also been arrested in the southern port city of Mahshahr. Iran is a majority-Shiite nation, and the Islamic State is a Sunni group that often targets Shiite Muslims.

The jihadist group had earlier released footage of the attackers from inside the building, also via Amaq - a rare claim of responsibility while an assault was still going on.

The death toll from Wednesday's incidents in Tehran grew to 17, while more than 40 others have been wounded. In a separate statement, State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert, condemned the terror attacks in Tehran.

President Hassan Rouhani said "terrorism is a global problem, and unity to fight extremism, violence and terrorism with regional and worldwide cooperation is the most important need of today's world".

Comments