Iran send planes stuffed with food to Qatar

Adjust Comment Print

Mr Sergei Lavrov, Russia's Foreign Minister, discussed Qatar with US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in a phone call on Saturday.

The GCC countries said on Sunday that Qataris married to their own citizens will be exempt from the order, which was part a series of measures taken last week to isolate Qatar over its support of Islamist and terrorist groups.

Amnesty International on Friday criticised the measures against Qatar as sweeping and arbitrary and said they had split up families and destroyed people's livelihoods and education.

The decision will come as a relief to more than 11,000 people from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain living in Qatar.

Mr Ali bin Smaikh Al Marri, chairman of Qatar's National Human Rights Committee, told reporters in Doha that the group is shopping for an worldwide law firm to take the case, and is soliciting a meeting with the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights.

In the biggest diplomatic crisis in the region in years, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, plus Egypt and Yemen, on Monday announced they were cutting all ties with Qatar, accusing it of supporting extremism.

Crosby cements legacy with consecutive Stanley Cup wins
Referee Kevin Pollock lost sight of the puck and whistled down play just before Sissons tipped home the loose puck in the crease. He joins Bernie Parent (1974-75) and Penguins co-owner Mario Lemieux (1991-92) as the only players to win them consecutively.

Iran said the planes were filled with vegetables and that it plans to send 100 tons of fresh fruit and legumes every day to the import-dependent nation, according to the semi-official Tasnim news agency.

Iran Air spokesman Shahrokh Noushabadi said five aircraft carrying around 90 tonnes of vegetables each had been sent to Qatar in recent days. "We will continue deliveries as long as there is demand".

Washington has sent mixed signals on the crisis, despite Qatar's position as a key ally and host to the largest U.S. airbase in the region.

The government of Qatar has hired one of the War on Terror's legal heavyweights to advise the country on worldwide counter-terrorism finance laws.

"[Kuwait] affirms the readiness of the brothers in Qatar to understand the reality of the qualms and concerns of their brothers and to heed the noble endeavors to enhance security and stability", Kuwait's state-run KUNA quoted Foreign Minister Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah as saying on Sunday.

The African Union chairman, Guinean President Alpha Conde whose country has close ties with Saudi Arabia, has also offered himself as a mediator.

Comments