The Taliban has claimed responsibility, saying a Taliban loyalist infiltrated Afghan forces "just to attack foreign forces". The Afghan soldier was killed "in return fire", Attahullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor in Nangarhar province, said. He said the Afghan soldier was killed after the attack.
JALALABAD, Afghanistan Three American soldiers were killed and one wounded on Saturday when an Afghan soldier opened fire on them in eastern Afghanistan, according to officials.
In April, the "Mother of All Bombs" was dropped in the area.
The latest attack comes as US President Donald Trump's administration is considering sending more troops to Afghanistan.
"We are aware of an incident in eastern Afghanistan", the US-led military coalition said in a brief statement. The area has been cordoned off by USA troops. The incident is under investigation and the identities of the fallen soldiers were not released.
The wounded soldier has been evacuated for medical treatment, the Pentagon said in a statement.
"A Mujahid [freedom fighter] infiltrator of the Islamic Emirate who had enrolled himself in the Kabul government's army attacked American soldiers in Lata Band area of Achin district in Nangarhar province today in the afternoon", according to a statement.
Читайте также: Louisiana House budget offer panned by SenateON my way here I was informed that United States service members were killed and wounded in an attack in Afghanistan.
So-called "green-on-blue" attacks - when Afghan soldiers or police turn their guns on global troops - have been a major problem during NATO's long years fighting alongside Afghan forces.
Insider attacks have also plagued Afghan troops, depleting morale and causing mistrust within security ranks.
"In (a) joint US-Afghan military operation".
The Afghan special forces units have quickly become the most reliable force in the more than 15-year-old war, American officials believe. About 2,000 of them are involved in counterterrorism operations against al Qaeda and the ISIS affiliate in Afghanistan. American officials say the military has proposed sending an additional 2,000 to 4,000 US troops to Afghanistan, but the number may ultimately depend on how many additional troops are committed by North Atlantic Treaty Organisation partners.
Earlier this year, the top US intelligence official said the security situation in Afghanistan will further deteriorate even if there is a modest increase in USA military support for Afghanistan.
При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
Comments