Tehran attackers were ISIS recruits

Adjust Comment Print

Attacks are highly rare in Tehran and other major Iranian cities, although a Sunni militant group named Jundallah and its splinter group, Ansar al Furqan, have been waging a deadly insurgency, mostly in more remote areas, for nearly a decade.

The attacks at Teheran's Parliament complex and the shrine of revolutionary leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini on Wednesday wounded more than 50 people and were the first claimed in Iran by ISIS. IS attack is understandable as Iranian-backed forces are fighting the terrorist outfit in Iraq and Syria and Tehran attacks could be in retaliation to the Iranian policy.

Five of the attackers died and, Reuters reports, more than half a dozen suspects have been arrested in connection with the assault - the first major attack Iran has experienced in years.

Abu Aisha was killed and the network forced to flee the country, the statement said.

A motorcycle repairman reads a newspaper at his shop near Iran's parliament building in Tehran, Iran, Thursday, May 8, 2017, a day after a pair of stunning Islamic State-claimed attacks on Iran's parliament and the tomb of its.

Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps vowed revenge for the attack, which it says was supported by Saudi Arabia, and tied it to the visit of President Trump to Saudi Arabia in May.

Iran denounced Donald Trump's reaction to deadly Islamic State group attacks in Tehran as "repugnant" on Thursday after the USA president warned the nation is reaping what it sows.

The US statement said on Wednesday that "states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote".

Iran arrests 7 more persons linked to Tehran attacks
A statement , as reported by Financial Times , from Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) linked the attacks to U.S. The attackers managed to get inside the building and engaged in a shootout with the security forces.

Trump - who used a visit to Riyadh last month to rally support for Iran's isolation - has endorsed the Saudi pressure while other United States officials appealed for calm. "Iranian people reject such United States claims of friendship", he wrote on Twitter.

"Terrorism is a global problem, and unity to fight extremism, violence and terrorism with regional and worldwide cooperation is the most important need of today's world", Rouhani said, according to AFP.

Both attacks were, however, foiled by the Iranian security forces, who arrived on the scene in no time and prevented the terrorists from gaining access to the sensitive parts of the two complexes.

Also, just hours before the deadly attacks in Tehran, the Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir had claimed that Iran was the world's leading supporter of terrorism and must be punished. Two of them was captured and one of the attackers blew himself up inside the building. President Hassan Rouhani said ISIS's actions would only unite Iran and called for greater global support in tackling militant groups.

Iranian authorities have also arrested seven people it suspects of helping militants involved in attacks, a judiciary official said on Saturday.

Iran's Intelligence Ministry on Thursday in a statement revealed the identity of five terrorists who were killed during Wednesday terrorist attacks in Tehran. The extremist Sunni group considers the 90 percent of Iranians who are Shi'ite Muslims to be apostates.

The contest between Iran and Saudi Arabia, the region's main Sunni power, has helped fuel wars in Syria and Yemen.

Comments