Arab states in row with Qatar laud President Donald Trump's supportive stance

Adjust Comment Print

"The nation of Qatar, unfortunately, has historically been a funder of terrorism at a very high level".

In an interview with Fox News, Meshal Bin Hamad Al Thani, Qatar's Ambassador to the United States, said he welcomes the secretary's remarks and said Qatar has prosecuted extremists.

The two other GCC countries, Oman and Kuwait, have tried to mediate, though Friday's controversy suggests that efforts to end the crisis have so far failed.

But Tillerson also noted that other countries must do more - and he urged Riyadh and its allies to soften their embargo.

He also ratified a bill approved by Turkish lawmakers on Wednesday to deploy troops to a Turkish base in Qatar in a move seen as Ankara's show of support for Doha. "Until today I have not witnessed Qatar give support to terror", Erdogan said in Istanbul.

The US president stressed these activities must stop as soon as possible while other Arab countries continue their fight against terrorist organizations, including Daesh (outlawed in Russia).

In a shock to many, President Trump backed the coalition's decision, saying that "perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!"

Three US troops 'killed by Afghan soldier in insider attack'
The latest attack comes as US President Donald Trump's administration is considering sending more troops to Afghanistan . The Achin district , where the attack is believed to have occurred, is described as an ISIS and Taliban stronghold.

A peninsular nation of 2.5 million people, Qatar has for years punched well above its weight in world affairs by parleying its vast gas wealth into influence across the region, irking many with its maverick stances and support for Islamists. They have imposed what Qatar said was a blockade of shipping and air traffic and closed Qatar's only land border, causing panic buying at supermarkets and provoking confusion and anxiety across the population.

"While current operations from Al Udeid Air Base have not been interrupted or curtailed, the evolving situation is hindering our ability to plan for longer-term military operations", he said.

The announcement increases pressure on Qatar in a diplomatic and economic campaign to isolate the small Gulf Arab state, which is a critical global supplier of gas and hosts the biggest USA military base in the Middle East. The list included the spiritual leader of the Sunni Islamist group, the Muslim Brotherhood, as well as several Qatari-funded charities.

"We call on the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt to ease the blockade against Qatar", he said in Washington.

Friday's spat is unlikely to ease regional tensions in a spiralling political crisis which also threatens to involve the US, Russia, Europe and other major players such as Turkey and Iran.

On Monday, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain led a string of countries that cut ties with Qatar over what they say is the emirate's financing of extremist groups and its ties to Iran, Saudi Arabia's regional arch-rival. "This dispute is threatening the stability of the entire region", he said. Other U.S. officials have said Qatar has already taken some steps to reduce terror funding but that the steps are insufficient.

Media reports say the deployment will initially include warplanes, ships and some 200-250 troops. Previously, the USA had insisted the Qatar crisis wouldn't affect US military efforts in the Middle East.

Comments