U.S. dropped bomb on Eastern Afghanistan

Adjust Comment Print

Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman, said the deaths occurred overnight in Afghanistan's Nangahar province, where a small but virulent Islamic State cell poses a threat to Afghan and USA coalition forces.

Navy Capt. Jeff Davis says they were killed during an operation against the Afghanistan-based Islamic State group in Nangahar Province in the eastern part of the country.

The Taliban says its annual spring offensive will be a mix of conventional, guerrilla and suicide attacks on Afghan and foreign forces, underlining the challenges facing the United States administration as it weighs its options in Afghanistan.

The service members' names were not released, as of Thursday morning.

Pentagon spokesman Adam Stump confirmed to The Independent that the soldiers were killed while fighting Isis-Khorosan, the local affiliate of the terror group.

USA military spokesman Capt. Bill Salvin last month said that his country aimed to drive ISIS out of Afghanistan by the end of this year.

The commander of USA troops in Afghanistan, Gen. John Nicholson, has called for thousands of additional troops to help prop up the Afghan military, which is struggling to hold off the Taliban and an array of other militant groups.

Warren Buffet regrets missing out on Google and Amazon
While Buffett met Mr Peanut at the Kraft Heinz booth, Miami Dolphin player Ndamukong Suh wandered about 1m away without a crowd. Billionaire Warren Buffett paid tribute to Vanguard founder Jack Bogle at Berkshire Hathaway's annual meeting Saturday.

The assault led to the resignations of the Afghan defense minister and the army chief of staff, as well as fear and suspicion among security forces that the militants had help from inside.

Mark De Alencar, 37, of the 7 Special Forces Group, was killed earlier this month by small arms fire while conducting anti-ISIS operations. In the latest attack, the Taliban disguised as Afghan army soldiers slipped into the compound of the 209 Corps in northern Afghanistan's Balkh province.

U.S. Army soldiers from 2nd Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment search mountains in the Andar province of Afghanistan for Taliban members and weapons caches. Eighteen IS fighters were allegedly killed in the gunfight.

Around 13,000 foreign troops remain in Afghanistan to train and assist the Afghan forces.

Neither President Donald Trump, nor Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has commented publicly on the reported advisement to Congress by Gen. John Nicholson, the top US commander in Afghanistan.

President Obama had declared the end of the USA and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation combat mission in Afghanistan in 2014, and sought to draw down US troops to an embassy presence by the time he left office in 2017, but changed his mind after the Taliban made a comeback.

Comments