San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera has praised a ruling by a federal judge in San Francisco that blocked a Trump administration order to withhold funding from sanctuary cities.
In January, President Donald Trump signed an executive order that requested that the Department of Homeland Security and Justice Department block sanctuary cities from receiving federal funds.
The Trump Administration had also suffered a defeat earlier this year when two federal judges suspended the U.S. president's controversial executive orders that banned people from at least seven Muslim-majority countries to enter the US.
Today, the rule of law suffered another blow, as an unelected judge unilaterally rewrote immigration policy for our Nation.
He accused sanctuary cities of "putting the well-being of criminal aliens before the safety of our citizens" and claimed city officials who authorised policies to protect people living in the country illegally "have the blood of dead Americans on their hands".
"Once again, the courts have spoken to defend tolerance, diversity and inclusion from the illegal threats of the Trump administration", ACLU National Political Director Faiz Shakir said in a statement.
On at least one occasion, Trump has called the order to keep some federal dollars away from certain localities "a weapon" to be used against places where they believe officials are releasing from custody criminals who should be deported.
The suit had been brought by the city and county of San Francisco and Santa Clara County.
Bans on immigration and sanctuary cities have been met with protest.
.
Blues hold off Predators, send series back to Nashville for Game 6
Now, they'll have another chance in Game 6 on Sunday afternoon on home ice where they've yet to lose this postseason. Though the Predators registered only 22 shots, Allen's margin for error in defending them was once again slim.
The writer, an attorney who specializes in appeals, is a former U.S. Supreme Court clerk.
White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus said the decision was "the Ninth Circuit going bananas", adding that he would "take action" against the ruling.
The administration has often criticized the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
A federal judge ruled that United States President Donald Trump can not coerce "sanctuary cities" to cooperate with immigration officers by withdrawing federal funds, media reports said.
In an executive order, Mr. Trump threatened to strip all federal funds from any local government that refused to help immigration police round up undocumented immigrants.
This was yet another stay on a Trump executive order after a federal appeals court blocked the original travel ban that prohibited travelers from several Muslim-majority countries from entering into the U.S. The administration then revised the order, but the new version also is stalled in court.
Last week, the Department of Justice sent a letter to NY and other sanctuary cities across the country, demanding they prove they were working with immigration authorities.
The judge clarified that the injunction "does not impact the Government's ability to use lawful means to enforce existing conditions of federal grants ... nor does it restrict the Secretary from developing regulations or preparing guidance on designating a jurisdiction as a 'sanctuary jurisdiction'".




Comments