U.S. judge blocks key part of Trump's sanctuary cities order

Adjust Comment Print

The Trump administration says sanctuary cities allow unsafe criminals back on the street and that the order is needed to keep the country safe.

A US federal judge has blocked the Trump administration's executive order that could deny funding to "sanctuary cities" harbouring illegal immigrants, a ruling that the US President termed as "ridiculous". "But we are confident we will ultimately prevail in the Supreme Court, just as we will prevail in our lawful efforts to impose immigration restrictions necessary to keep terrorists out of the Untied States". "They used to call this 'judge shopping!' Messy system", he continued.

Orrick on Tuesday blocked Trump's January 25 executive order on what are called "sanctuary cities" and said lawsuits by Santa Clara county and San Francisco challenging the order were likely to succeed, the Washington Post reported. He is also the same judge who yielded to a petition from a major abortion group to stop release of videos dealing with Planned Parenthood's sale of baby body parts.

The second statement showed the two California governments that sued to block the order - San Francisco and Santa Clara County - had good reason to believe they would be targeted, Orrick said.

San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee applauded the ruling, and California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said it will allow local governments to fight back against the "executive overreach" of the Trump administration.

The Justice Department also slammed New York City as "soft on crime" and threatened to withhold grant funding on a federal program named for a slain NYPD officer.

The American Civil Liberties Union and other advocacy groups said the injunction offered a clear warning that Trump's order is illegal.

"Once again, a single district judge - this time in San Francisco - has ignored Federal immigration law to set a new immigration policy for the entire country".

Housing agency maintains 'strong' risk rating for national real estate market
Meanwhile, evidence of price acceleration, which may indicate speculative activity, remains moderate, according to the report. Among the changes brought in were a 15 per cent tax on foreign buyers purchasing in the GGH, subject to certain exemptions.

First the Ninth Circuit rules against the ban & now it hits again on sanctuary cities-both ridiculous rulings.

White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus condemned the ruling and said the administration would appeal.

The government hasn't cut off any funding yet or declared any communities sanctuary cities.

The administration has often criticized the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Orrick, who was appointed by former President Barack Obama, ruled that Trump's order violated the Constitution by trying to punish local governments by seeking to "deprive local jurisdictions of congressional allocated funds without any notice or opportunity to be heard". But the Justice Department sent letters last week advising communities to prove they are in compliance.

The Trump administration says sanctuary cities allow risky criminals back on the street and that the order is needed to keep the country safe.

San Francisco Attorney Dennis Herrera applauded the court's order in sanctuary cities. Orrick is a district judge and does not sit on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals as Trump's tweet indicated, but the 9th Circuit would hear any appeal on the case from the White House.

"Because San Francisco took the president to court, we've been able to protect billions of dollars that fund lifesaving programmes across the country", Herrera said.

Comments