Security in Paris was increased this week ahead of the French presidential election on Sunday.
The gunman killed one police officer before being shot dead by security forces.
The man France alerted Belgian security services to as a possible suspect in the deadly Paris shooting has turned himself in to Belgian police in the city of Antwerp, France's Interior Ministry spokesman said.
Cheurfi, a French national who lived in the eastern Paris suburb of Chelles, had been convicted for previous armed assaults on law enforcement officers going back 16 years, the sources said, and was well known to authorities.
Four candidates lead the race, which is still too tight to call - so even a small effect on the first round of voting Sunday could make a big difference, he said.
France has fully mobilised its security forces, including elite units, to ensure citizens' protection during this weekend's presidential election, following the fatal shooting of a police officer in central Paris.
Campaigning and the publication of voter surveys are banned from midnight on Friday until polling stations close.
"If it's a runoff between two right-wing candidates; it will be quite interesting", Lightfoot told ABC News.
It is not certain whether the attack, in which a police officer was shot dead and two seriously injured, was terror-related, but French President Francois Hollande described the Champs-Elysees shooting was "terrorist in nature".
Canada condemns attack in Paris which left police officer dead, 3 wounded
The group also claimed responsibility for a auto attack in London last month killing four, but gave no name or details. What could the possible political implications be? No one's said exactly. "The world's eyes are on France right now".
According to French media, he had served several years in prison for shooting at police in the early 2000s.
President Francois Hollande has scheduled an emergency meeting following the latest attack, which comes just days before the country goes to the polls.
"The government is fully mobilized". "It falls to us not to give in to fear and intimidation and manipulation which would play into the hands of the enemy".
The shooting abruptly pushed national security up the agenda, potentially making the outcome of Sunday's first round vote even more hard to call.
Thursday's attack happened around 9 p.m. Paris time when authorities say the gunman in a vehicle pulled up alongside a parked law enforcement van on the city's most well-know stretch and opened fire.
"Today fundamentalist Islam is waging war and. the measures are not being taken to limit the risks", she said on RFI radio.
Far-right candidate Marine Le Pen said the attack showed the time for naivety "is over".
A neighbour said: "I think everyone here is in shock". "There's no such thing as zero risk". Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve accused her of trying to capitalize on the attack.




Comments