The ISIS Paris Shooter Had Long History Of Radicalism And Violence

Adjust Comment Print

Bloodshed had always been feared ahead of Sunday's first round of voting after a string of jihadist atrocities since 2015, and the shooting on the world-renowned boulevard forced security to the top of the agenda in the campaign.

A French national, identified by the Paris prosecutor's office as Karim Cheurfi, possibly aided by a Belgian accomplice, shot dead with a Kalashnikov a policeman on the Champs-Elysee and wounded another two officers.

The Islamic State group, which claimed responsibility through its news agency, identified the shooter as "Abu Yussef the Belgian", calling him "one of Islamic State's fighters".

According to investigators, Cheurfi - armed with an automatic AK-47-type weapon - started shooting at a group of officers in a police van Thursday night.

But his lawyer strongly denied his client had anything to 'do with the attack and said a police raid at the man's home was linked to another criminal investigation.

Observers had feared violence ahead of Sunday's vote in France following a string of atrocities since 2015 and the attack is thought likely to move security to the front of voters' minds. It could favour Le Pen and Fillon, who have taken the hardest stand against Islamists and terrorism.

Authorities said Cheurfi was released from prison in 2015 - and re-arrested again in February for threatening to kill police.

The attack in Paris appeared a ideal fit for Le Pen and her barbed criticism of authorities she accuses of being naive on terrorism.

Reports described the attacker as a 39-year-old Frenchman who lived in a Paris suburb and had been known to security services as an Islamist radical.

Mr Hollande said he was convinced the attack was "terrorist-related", adding that the security forces had the full support of the nation and a national tribute would be paid to the fallen policeman.

North Korean state media warns of 'super-mighty pre-emptive strike'
One propaganda film previous year featured animation of a North Korean, nuclear-tipped ICBM striking New York City. Almost a month ago, the totalitarian nation released a fiery video with scenes including troops blowing up a U.S.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel expressed her condolences to Hollande and said her sympathy "goes out to the victims and their families", according to her spokesman Steffen Seibert.

The Islamic State identified the attacker as Abu Yusuf al-Beljiki through its Amaq news agency, according to SITE Intel Group, a US -based organization that monitors terrorists' activity online.

Meanwhile, the two police officers injured in the attack are said to be out of danger.

Interior ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said it was too early to say what the motive of the attack was, but that it was clear the police officers had been deliberately targeted.

ISIS has claimed credit for the attack.

Up until now, surveys showed voters more concerned about unemployment and their spending power than terrorism or security, though analysts warned this would change in the event of violence.

Le Pen, who has campaigned on an anti-European Union, anti-immigration platform, was the only major French candidate who backed Republican Trump in the November 8 US presidential election.

The first round in France's two-stage election will be held on Sunday, with a second and final round on May 7.

U.S. president Donald Trump, speaking at a press conference in Washington, said the incident "looks like another terrorist attack" and sent his condolences to France.

Comments