VP Pence says USA commitment to Korea "iron-clad"

Adjust Comment Print

The strike group, including the 97,000-ton carrier and its 60-plus aircraft, the guided-missile destroyers USS Wayne E. Meyer and USS Michael Murphy and the guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain aircraft carrier, will arrive off the Korean Peninsula by the end of April, multiple USA defense officials told CNN. The failure came as Vice President Mike Pence arrived in the South for talks.

Yet Boris Johnson spoke up in support of the U.S.'s activity in the region saying, "We stand alongside our worldwide partners in making clear that North Korea must adhere to United Nations resolutions created to secure peace and stability in the region and stop its pursuit of nuclear weapons".

White House officials told the Times that the military's Pacific Command made the announcement prematurely, and the mistake was repeated later by defence secretary Jim Mattis. Officials directed all questions to the Pentagon.

Those options probably include stepped-up cyber and electronic activity, which would be more easily deniable and less likely to trigger a North Korean response.

DefenseNews Tuesday spotted a Navy photo of the Vinson taken on Saturday showing the nuclear-powered carrier off Indonesia about 3,500 miles from the Sea of Japan.

"They are going to start heading north towards the Sea of Japan within next 24 hours", the official said on condition of anonymity. The caption date was six days after Third Fleet said she had received new orders "to sail north and report on station in the Western Pacific Ocean" after departing Singapore; it was four days after Defense Secretary James Mattis told reporters that "she's just on her way up [to Korea] because that's where we thought it was most prudent to have her".

Russia, Iran vow continued military support for Assad
The attack was the first direct USA assault on Syria and the government of President Bashar al-Assad in the six-year war there. McMaster said Russian leaders were supporting "a murderous regime" and their actions would dictate the future of U.S.

President Donald Trump told Fox News that "We're sending an armada" to the Korean region.

"Our preference is to put pressure on the North Korean regime so that they will undertake to cease this threatening behavior and roll back their illegal programs", she said.

Speculation has been rising that the Ronald Reagan and Nimitz strike groups could join with the Vinson.

"The Carl Vinson Strike Group cancelled a previously planned port visit to Australia and is continuing on track for all assigned missions in the Western Pacific", a statement said.

Administration officials described to the Times what the newspaper called a "glitch-ridden sequence of events" surrounding the strike group.

Comments