Pence: No negotiations with N. Korea 'at this time'

Adjust Comment Print

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said on Wednesday that Washington would work with its allies and China to put economic and diplomatic pressure on North Korea but added that America would defeat any attack with an "overwhelming response".

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the United States was looking at ways to pressure North Korea over its nuclear program as North Korean state media warned the Americans of a "super-mighty preemptive strike", saying don't "mess with us".

"But at the same time", the prime minister said, "dialogue for the sake of dialogue is valueless and it is necessary for us to exercise pressure North Korea so that it comes forward and engages in this serious dialogue".

The U.S. had been considering military options against North Korea because of its nuclear program.

Speaking inside the ship's ceremonial room, the vice president spoke to CNN after addressing about 2,500 troops on the ship's deck - something he said he's never done before.

Earlier this month, Navy officials announced that the Carl Vinson carrier strike group was sailing for the Western Pacific in what appeared to be a show of strength.

The US played its own part in the tensions with surprise bombing action in Syria and Afghanistan, which Pence held up Wednesday as proof of US resolve.

On Sunday, as part of celebrations to mark the birthday of late North Korean founder Kim Il Sung, state television aired a concert which included a video showing the U.S. engulfed in flames. "Japan will assume a larger role and responsibility in our alliance in the years ahead".

Afghans react to huge US bomb with shock, awe and mixed feelings
Another person was wounded when a second bomb exploded in Lashkar Gah, the capital of Helmand, he said. According to Los Angeles Times , U.S.

Pence reiterated the commitment to defend US allies in the region from North Korea - which he called "the most unsafe and urgent threat to the peace and security of the Asia Pacific" during remarks to USA and Japanese troops aboard the USS Ronald Reagan at the Yokosuka Naval Base in Japan.

Pence said the North represents the most unsafe and most immediate threat in the Asia-Pacific and President Donald Trump is determined to confront that threat by marshaling unprecedented cooperation with allies in the region, China and the world.

"North Korea is the most risky and urgent threat to peace and security in the Asia-Pacific", he said.

"The United States will strengthen its presence in the Asia Pacific", he said.

Pence also said the USA would protect freedom of navigation in the South China Sea, the sea lanes vital to global shipping where China has been staking claim to disputed territory.

There, Pence will be meeting Indonesian President Joko Widodo and Vice President Jusuf Kalla, as well as celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the 40th anniversary of USA ties with the group.

"You can rest assured, the full range of the United States military capability is dedicated to the protection of Japan," he said.

North Korea is seen as toning down its condemnation as its foreign ministry has yet to release its stance on Pence's warning, analysts said.

Comments