The ban capped a tumultuous 10 day-crackdown that saw pro-government groups rough up several opposition leaders and another seek refuge in a foreign embassy to escape arrest.
He accused the government of running a smear campaign against him.
"This thing that they just did to Capriles is the product of tyranny", said Adel Rincones, 61, who wore the uniform of Venezuela's Olympic team.
"More than yesterday, more than today, tomorrow there will be a surplus of reasons to protest across the country against this self-coup", Capriles said in a second tweet Friday.
Opposition lawmaker José Guerra, who participated in Saturday's protests, said the march was peacefully advancing on Francisco de Miranda Avenue, one of Caracas' main thoroughfares, when "tear gas bombs started raining on us".
Authorities have been investigating Capriles since the beginning of the year for what they say are a half dozen administrative irregularities, including taking suspicious donations from overseas. A ban on Capriles - a sports-loving lawyer who has tried to shake the opposition's reputation of elitism by focusing on grassroots efforts with poor Venezuelans - would mean the country's two top opposition politicians are barred from taking on Maduro.
"The government has staged a self-coup, and what they're now doing to me is part of it", Capriles said.
The court has consistently ruled in Maduro's favor since the opposition majority took its seats in the National Assembly legislature in January 2016.
While she said she was hopeful the world is beginning to see there are injustices in Venezuela, her father, Carlos Paez, was more pessimistic. "The way we get rid of Maduro is with elections".
Veteran kills wife at school after failing to win her back
Police officers stand guard outside North Park School after a deadly shooting Monday, April 10, 2017, in San Bernardino, Calif . Officials also said a person who was known to be a spouse or known to the school would not have been escorted to a classroom.
Venezuelan opposition leader and former presidential candidate Henrique Capriles (C) talks with the media after a press conference in Caracas on April 7, 2017.
Caracas saw two similarly large anti-government demonstrations last fall, but protesters on Thursday said they thought this time might be different, with steady protests combined with escalating worldwide criticism and intolerable shortages of food and medicine.
While the widely condemned decision was quickly overturned, it has given the country's disparate opposition a new impetus against a leftist government it blames for the country's social and economic collapse.
"In the face of the vile assassination of the young Jairo Ortiz, we manifest our firm condemnation of such a vile act", state human rights ombudsman Tarek Saab said on Twitter about the incident, reports Al Jazeera. In 2008, the comptroller banned Venezuela's most renowned jailed opposition figure, Leopoldo Lopez, from holding office for a decade on corruption allegations.
In 2015 another prominent opposition leader, Leopoldo Lopez, was sentenced to almost 14 years in prison on charges of inciting violence during anti-government protests in 2014. "You can shove your disqualification where the sun doesn't shine", said Capriles, flanked by opposition leaders.
The state prosecutor's office confirmed on Friday that Mr Ortiz was shot in the hilly, low-income Carrizal area of capital Caracas, known for its state-provided housing, while he was at a protest.
Not since 2014's major unrest has the opposition held such sustained demonstrations, despite protester fatigue, fear of violence, and the necessity for so many Venezuelans to spend much of their day looking for food.
Maduro critics are demanding the removal of seven Supreme Court justices who signed last week's decision.





Comments