Trump order targets foreign workers

Adjust Comment Print

Although the program is capped at 85,000 new H-1B visas each year, more than 100,000 workers are allowed in annually because of exemptions for university-related positions.

United States president Donald Trump signed an executive order on Tuesday that directs federal agencies to review and change a temporary visa programme for high-skilled foreigners to ensure preference was accorded to the "most-skilled and highest-paid".

Instead of a lottery, Trump wants to prioritize "the most skilled and highest paid applicants".

About 6 percent of the visas now go to the Labor Department's top skill level, while 8 in 10 workers using the visa are paid less than the median wage for their fields, the White House said in a fact sheet distributed to reporters.

Throughout his election campaign, Trump pushed the "Buy American, hire American" maxim and prefers to move towards a merit-based visa system, which only encourages the most-talented workers from overseas to come.

As Trump ordered for review on H-1B, it kicked up a storm among Indian techies living in the U.S. or planning to go to the US. Going into details like whether it's good or bad, it's a mixed for Indian techies. It makes it hard for entry-level computer programmers to get the work permit.

"There is some evidence that there may be some use of the H-1B not to bring top talent, but to outsource jobs".

"We are finally standing up for our workers and our companies", Trump said.

"It would be a mistake to close the door on high-skilled workers from around the world who can contribute to American businesses growth and expansion and make the US more competitive around the world".

Trump Awaits Outcome of Special Congressional Election
Democrat scenario, making it harder for Ossoff to run above the fray as he has leading up to the primary. "Bring it on!" he said. Special elections will hold particular importance for Democrats this year, as Republicans now control both the House and Senate.

The H-1B program is open to a broad range of occupations, including architects, professors and even fashion models. "The intent is to short-term high-skill kinds of visas, which is exactly how we use. It is clear that some companies have entirely built their business models around the H-1B visa programme which was not at all the intent".

The American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) said that while the announcement reflects the administration's desire to move toward reforms to the H-1B program, there will be no immediate changes or impact on H-1B visas.

The order tightens the rules for technology companies seeking to bring highly skilled foreign workers to the United States.

This is his first trip since becoming president to the state that helped him clinch the election.

Under the current system, a company who is sponsoring a potential employee or current employee's H-1B petition may fill out a form to expedite the processing of that petition.

Trump said the order, signed at the sprawling Snap- on tool factory in Kenosha, Wisconsin, was a way to "restore the American dream" and a means to end the "theft of American prosperity", which he said had been brought on by lowwage immigrant labor.

"We welcome proposals to make the programme more effective".

"We hope the goal of President Trump's executive order on the H1B program is 'mend it, don't end it, '" said Robert Atkinson, president of the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, a technology industry group.

Comments